Payroll and Benefits Administrator (Permanent Part-time)
Stormtec specializes in smart, environmentally friendly, advanced water management solutions for the construction, oil and gas, mining, forestry and industrial wastewater sectors. We provide both temporary and permanent solutions and have a hard-earned reputation for successfully solving, on budget and on schedule, the most challenging water treatment projects. With offices located in British Columbia and Alberta, we are the leader in water management in Western Canada. If you are an environmentally conscious and creative problem-solver seeking a new challenge, talk to us about joining our team.
Reporting to the Corporate Controller, Payroll and Benefits Administrator will be responsible for a variety of payroll functions, including timely and accurate processing of multiple payrolls, maintaining employee time records and systems, performing all labour statistics, variance reporting and budgeting and administering employee benefits. This role provides administrative support where needed and takes pride and ownership in the tasks assigned, while working remotely.
ROLE RESPONSIBILITIES (includes but not limited to)
Pay and Benefits Administration
- Processes hourly and salary payroll including processing new hires, terminations, rate changes, garnishments, and other data relating to employee records and payroll processing according to established cut-off schedule.
- Maintains employee data in the payroll, benefits and timekeeping systems, making changes to employee personnel accounts as required.
- Instructs employees and managers/supervisors on the proper use of timekeeping system and maintains time clock(s), as required.
- Accurately prepares and processes payrolls (full cycle) for three(3) entities including taxable benefits and year-end documentation.
- Ensures vacation accruals are accurate and kept up-to-date, making changes to accrual rate as required.
- Processes and ensures accurate remittances are made to the appropriate external agencies. Performs year-end payroll reconciliations (including T4, T4A).
- Accurately completes and processes Records of Employment and wage verification forms and correspondence in a timely manner.
- Accurately maintain a complex electronic and paper filing system related to pay and benefits, ensuring confidentiality and security of all documents and records.
- Completes and maintains various HR, payroll and benefit reports and spreadsheets (e.g. employee list, emergency contacts, headcount, hours report, attendance, turnover, etc.) and participates in payroll and benefits audits as required.
- Ensures accurate payments to appropriate third-party recipients of funds withheld through payroll.
- Processes invoices related to pay & benefits (e.g. Revenue Canada, Workers Compensation, group benefits and pension providers), reconciling accounts as required.
- Posts bi-weekly payroll entries to the ERP system as required.
- Performs all labour related budgeting, forecasting and month end reporting and variance analysis.
- Communicates with co-workers, management, customers and others in a courteous and professional manner.
- Supports the human resources and accounting teams with various projects and initiatives.
- Takes on improvement projects as needed.
- Conforms with and abides by all regulations, policies, work procedures and instructions.
- Performs other duties as assigned to meet business needs.
EDUCATION AND TRAINING
- Post-secondary education in payroll administration or business administration.
- Minimum 3-4 years applicable experience.
- Canadian Payroll Association Certification or working towards certification would be an asset.
- Comprehensive understanding of payroll legislation, employment standards in BC and AB and payroll accounting and working knowledge of employee benefit programs.
- Solid understanding of basic accounting and the manual payroll process.
- Experience with using computerized payroll systems. Experience with Ceridian Dayforce and PowerPay would be considered an asset.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office Suite.
- Experience using an ERP system (i.e. Netsuite).
ATTRIBUTES & SKILLS
- Strong attention to detail with the ability to prioritize and handle multiple priorities in a fast-paced environment.
- Strong interpersonal and verbal and written communication skills
- Excellent analytical skills and problem-solving skills.
At Stormtec we are committed to winning the long-game. That means being purposeful in both what we undertake and how we work - even if it means short-term pain for long-term success. We are building a team that includes the best people in the industry, people who want to work at a company with an inspirational and engaging organizational culture. We achieve this by living our Core Values every day.
- Honesty – The courage to tell each other, our customers, our partners what needs to be said even if it is not what they want to hear.
- Respect – For ourselves and for each other, to model a respectful workplace.
- Accountability – To be clear on both commitments and expectations while also following our word.
- Teamwork – 1+1 should equal 3 not 1.5. True teamwork is a multiplier and not a diminisher of what individuals can accomplish on their own.
- Performance – Hard work and smart work are required, as are results, in our roles if we are to create a healthy, thriving and rewarding business with plenty of opportunities for everyone.
If you are a high-performance team player that is interested in joining our dynamic and growing BC Team, please forward your resume via Indeed. Please indicate “Payroll and Benefits Administrator ” on the subject line of your email.
- If you are considered for the position, clearance on all applicable background checks (which may include criminal, identity, educational, and/or credit) and professional reference checks is required.
- A technical/practical assessment may be administered during the selection process and this exercise will be used as a part of the selection criterion.
- To meet the physical demands required of some positions, candidates must be in good physical condition and willing to work in all weather conditions. Clearance on pre-placement medical and drug and alcohol testing will be required.
NOTE: We would like to thank all applicants who apply. However, only those who are shortlisted and who are eligible to accept employment in Canada WITHOUT sponsorship will be considered.
- Extended health care
- Dental care
Job Types: Part-time, Permanent
- Payroll: 4 years (Preferred)