If you believe in the same things we do, let’s talk.
First West Credit Union is a tight-knit team of smart, friendly, creative, skillful and passionate professionals spread across British Columbia and beyond. We’ve come together because we believe in making a real difference in people’s financial lives. We believe that keeping things simple, showing leadership, and banking cooperatively can change the world for the better.
Reporting to the Director, Corporate Credit, the Compliance Officer (FWC) manages and maintains a continuous and comprehensive audit program for First West Capital’s credit portfolio. Ensures a compliance framework is maintained within regulatory requirements. With the guidance of the Director, Corporate Credit and Director, Operations FWC, this role will also develop, implement and maintain internal controls and systems to ensure an acceptable level of risk is in place for the portfolio. Works proactively to identify, escalate and resolve non-compliance issues in FWC accounts.
Here’s what would be included as a part of your typical day:
Prepares compliance reports within established timeframes; uses report data to assist business leaders to fully understand significant risk within the portfolio and employees to understand their accountability to mitigate risk within their span of control.
Educates all FWC on the processes and procedures of account compliance. Conducts and administers the continuous audit of FWC facilities as mandated in the First West Capital Funding policy including file audits, funding audits, compliance to pre-disbursement and post-disbursement conditions. Follows up on the completion of all action items recommended to rectify deficiencies identified during the audits of FWC accounts. Provides a comprehensive report on the audit results to the Director, Corporate Credit, Director, Operations (FWC) and National Managing Director (FWC) upon the completion of each audit cycle.
3. Out of Order Reporting:
Prepare and manage the First West Capital Out of Order Report, working with the Directors and Associate Directors of FW Capital to ensure risks are monitored, managed and mitigated within the FW Capital portfolio. Collaborates with First West Capital to ensure non-compliant accounts are actioned in an effective and timely manner.
4. Compliance Framework:
Maintains a compliance framework for First West Capital that complies with FWCU requirements. Develops and implements automated processes or tools to support framework and an audit process.
5. Risk Mitigation:
Works closely with the Director, Operations (FWC) and Director, Corporate Credit and internal auditors on control design effectiveness and effective end to end risk management. Evolve and improve internal processes within the credit compliance and FWC operations team. Provides expertise and support in development and implementation of a compliance monitoring framework that supports FWC’s current and future strategic initiatives. Monitors and ensures timeline checkpoints are met for compliance projects.
Develops and implements training plans for Loan Administrator, to ensure they have the tools needed to approach their work in a way that achieves optimal results.
Required Skills, Experience & Qualifications:
Preferred Skills, Experience & Qualifications:
- College, Trade or Tech School Diploma (2 years)
- 5 years commercial credit / compliance experience
- Proven abilities in compliance and monitoring
- A thorough understanding of FWC Funding Guidelines
- A thorough understanding of FWCU internal audit processes
- Excellent attention to detail
- Ability to prioritize and escalate appropriately
- Ability to communicate in a firm and confident manner.
- Bachelor’s Degree (Degree in Finance and/or Accounting or equivalent experience)
- Other Certifications, Designations or Licenses (Designation in Finance and/or Accounting or equivalent experience)
- Experience in commercial lending and/or account management
Why work for us?
Our employees give us a lot and we think it’s only right to give something back. We offer a total rewards package that includes:
- A competitive base salary plus performance-based incentive compensation and annual merit pay increases
- Flexible benefits as well as retirement benefits
- Vacation time, a flexible “Day4U”, and the ability to purchase up to 5 additional flex days
- Other financial perks such as waived or reduced financial service fees, reduced rates on personal loans, mortgages, and vehicle leases, and no-interest loans to buy computers or fitness equipment for home use
But most of all, we’re invested in our local communities. Our initiatives are far-reaching with a special focus on raising food, funds and awareness for our local food banks. We volunteer and employees can be provided with paid time off to volunteer their time to assist in serving an organization.
What’s your place in the First West story? Apply now and let’s find out together.
First West regrets that only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.
Diversity & Inclusion
First West Credit Union is committed to diversity and inclusion. Our goal is to create an inclusive, accessible environment for our candidates and employees that reflects the communities in which operate. If you require an accommodation for the recruitment or interview process (including alternate formats of materials, accessible meeting rooms or other types of accommodation), please let us know and we will work with you to meet your needs.