The STEM Montessori Academy of Canada (SMAC) is a registered not for profit regional science technology engineering and math (STEM) program open to all students with the mission to deliver top-notch STEM literacy and application. The STEM program will educate students from preschool to high school. The SMAC will specialize in an advanced, bar-none STEM-based educational curriculum that emphasizes the interconnected subject areas of science, technology, engineering, and math (STEM).
Characteristics of a Successful Volunteer in Education:
· Self-directed and Motivated Learner
· Research answers and questions independently, but know when to ask for assistance
· Shows initiative within competence limits and seeks means to fulfill areas for improvement
· Flexible, confident and respectful to others
· Passion for education
· Enthusiastic and exemplifies a good work ethic - dedicated and committed
· Open-minded and non-judgmental
· Great at planning, organization, leadership and teamwork and time management
This volunteer position seeks to provide closely monitored, results-driven professional and practical experience for undergraduate and graduate students interested in seeking a career in education.
Benefits of Volunteering as a Classroom Volunteer:
The volunteer placement focuses on approaches that provide optimal skill development and learning. Volunteers will benefit from:
· On the job experience
· Workshops and training
This is an unpaid volunteer opportunity to gain work experience in this field.
Part-Time 3 hours or Full Time 6 hours: 9:30 am - 12:20 pm or 12:30 pm - 3:30 pm 4-5 days per week
or hours as requested by the volunteer.
· MUST be working towards an ECE, Montessori or OCT certification current or on-hold or certified and looking for Canadian experience
· Montessori experience/certification an asset but not required
· CPR and First Aid Certification asset but not required
· Vulnerable Sector Police Clearance
Work Setting: Private School, Camp, After School Programs.
· Ability to help lead teachers plan day to day activities inline with the curriculum set forth by the Director of Education
· Assist and develop any classroom activities and additional course content as required
· Assist in administering and correct tests when required
· Assist in planning and implementing developmentally appropriate activities.
· To be actively involved and contribute to the day-to-day operation of the school.
· Contribute to the students to help promote their physical, mental and social development
· Must be able to multi-task and be willing to work with the children one on one to identify their individual learning needs
· Excellent command of English (both oral and written) with strong problem-solving skills
· Assist in evaluating the progress of students each day and discuss results with students, parents and school officials
· Actively participate and be readily available for staff meetings and assisting in the planning of special activities for the year.
· Must be a team player willing to engage in parent-teacher interviews and cover other classes/teachers as required
· Always keep children a top priority and strive to continuous improvement
· Ability to be agile, physically active and lift objects and equipment up to 35 lbs.
- MUST be dependable and organized – A MUST
- Exhibit personal suitability and flexibility
- Have exceptional interpersonal skills
- Have excellent oral and written communication skills
We thank you for your interest in this opportunity; however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
Job Type: Volunteer