Classification & Regular Hours
Hours per Week:
Please note, this is a temporary full-time contract opportunity with an expected end date of April 30, 2022 to cover a secondment. Secondments are welcome.
Western University delivers an academic experience second to none. Western challenges the best and brightest faculty, staff and students to commit to the highest global standards. Our research excellence expands knowledge and drives discovery with real-world application. Western attracts individuals with a broad worldview, seeking to study, influence and lead in the international community. Since 1878, The Western Experience has combined academic excellence with life-long opportunities for intellectual, social and cultural growth in order to better serve our communities.
The Faculty of Education's mission is to prepare knowledgeable, critical, creative and courageous educators; through our teaching, research and service, we create equitable and just opportunities and outcomes for all individuals and communities.
The Graduate Affairs Assistant supports the effective and efficient administration of a diverse offering of Graduate programs in the Faculty of Education, and is a member of a team of staff that support the entire application process and current student life cycle which serves a diverse population of graduate students, both domestic and international, on-site and on-line. The Graduate Affairs Assistant acts as the main point of contact for all queries related to graduate programs and acts as a primary resource for faculty members, providing support and guidance in accordance with policies, procedures and regulation, and for and current and prospective students, providing support and counselling from the time of inquiry through application, orientation, program progression, examination and graduation. The incumbent assists with processing graduate student funding processes, contributes to the ongoing refinement of processes and procedures, creates, analyzes and distributes specific program data and reports for review, coordinates logistics for, and participates in, recruitment and orientation events, and assists with marketing material development and website updates.
- 3 year Community College Diploma in Business Management/Administration required
- University Bachelor degree preferred
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities:
- 3 years’ experience providing financial and administrative support, preferably in a higher education environment
- Verbal communication skills to clearly express ideas in an objective manner, and adapt communication style to suit the situation and audience
- Demonstrated ability take initiative, to work independently and follow through on work assignments
- Ability to apply active listening to hear and understand the complete message being communicated
- Competency to maintain confidentiality and treat sensitive information with discretion
- Ability to establish rapport with people from diverse backgrounds with the capacity to consider issues from the perspective of others
- Demonstrated ability to understand and resolve external and internal partner issues
- Ability to maintain a positive, outgoing attitude with genuine customer service orientation
- Ability to process information with a high degree of accuracy, and follow formal business practices with high attention to detail
- Ability to understand, interpret, and effectively communicate University guidelines, policies and practices to key stakeholders
- Ability to multi-task and maintain an organized and effective personal work environment
- Adapts readily and effectively to changing priorities and demands
- Personable and courteous in working relationships with colleagues, faculty members, students and the public
- Judgment and creative problem solving skills with a consultative and collaborative approach to addressing issues
- Strong mathematical and analytical skills to complete accurate calculations
- Ability to work independently and effectively as a member of the team to achieve department goals
- Intermediate proficiency required in Microsoft Office (Excel, Word, Outlook) in order to prepare emails, announcements, input data into spreadsheets and databases, prepare queries, pivot tables, formulas and conditional formatting
- Familiarity with software applications used by Western preferred (e.g. PeopleSoft, OWL, Cascade, Adobe Acrobat) with the ability to learn new technology
- Ability to work within competing priorities and under the conditions of constant programmatic and policy changes
- Ability and willingness to investigate and suggest unique solutions to problems and situations
- Familiarity with academic calendar and programs offered at Western preferred
- Familiarity with Western policies and guidelines preferred
Western welcomes applications from all qualified individuals; however, it is the university's policy to give first consideration to all qualified UWOSA applicants.
Western Values Diversity
The University invites applications from all qualified individuals. Western is committed to employment equity and diversity in the workplace and welcomes applications from women, members of racialized groups/visible minorities, Aboriginal persons, persons with disabilities, persons of any sexual orientation, and persons of any gender identity or gender expression.
Accommodations are available for applicants with disabilities throughout the recruitment process. If you require accommodations for interviews or other meetings, please contact Human Resources at firstname.lastname@example.org or phone 519-661-2194.
We thank all applicants for their interest; however, only those chosen for an interview will be acknowledged.