Make a difference in a growing, innovative mental health organization and centre of excellence in people-centered care. Work with supportive colleagues who are passionate about improving lives and champions for quality and continuous learning.
Many dynamic improvements are taking place in Homewood’s Specialized Services Program. We are excited to announce that we are proceeding with a new model of care that significantly lowers the patient-to-prime therapist ratio. This will intensify the meaningful work that can be accomplished, and strengthen our team approach. As a team member, you will have many opportunities to assist people making significant change in their lives. You will be supported by a new dynamic management team, as well as highly skilled colleagues with a significant range of experience and expertise in addiction treatment. We are doing leading edge research through our Post-Discharge Outcomes study with the Homewood Research Institute, and guiding all program development based on existing and new evidence.
We are hiring one-year contracts for three Full-Time Addiction Counsellors – psychotherapists with knowledge of addiction, trauma, and concurrent disorders for Homewood Specialized Services and are looking for you. You are a great fit, if you thrive in a fast-paced environment, are passionate about innovation, foster collaboration, and are committed to service excellence.
Hours of work:
One year contract with possibility of extension, Full-Time, 35 hours a week, evenings including scheduled Saturday hours will be required
The Addiction Counsellor provides group and individual assessment and treatment for individuals to help them recover from their substance use disorder. The Addiction Counsellor is involved in the assessment, treatment, and aftercare phases of the patient’s recovery process. This includes facilitating psychoeducational sessions as well as facilitating process groups for individuals struggling with substance use and concurrent disorders, as well as post-traumatic stress injuries. Services are provided to several special populations including emerging adults, health care professionals, and first-responders, military and veterans. Knowledge of best-practice treatment modalities including, Motivational Interviewing, and Cognitive Behavioural Therapy, is required. This work necessitates the ability to practice the controlled act of psychotherapy. Please note that the Addiction Medicine Service offers abstinence-based treatment.
What you'll be doing
- Provide counselling to support the individual’s recovery from addiction, trauma, and mental health issues
- Develop and present psycho-educational and psycho-dynamic sessions to clients/patients in small or large group formats
- Provide a learning experience for volunteers, staff and students through supporting their observer role in-group and/or by supervising students
- Facilitate group and individual counselling sessions
- Liaise with referral sources and other relevant community supports to advance patient/client’s progress
- Support patient’s/clients’ discharge planning needs through referral to appropriate community resources
- Assist patients/clients in coordinating outpatient counselling and/or follow-up
What we're looking for
- Bachelor’s or Master’s Degree in a recognized Social Sciences program with addiction specific education
- Must hold valid registration with relevant college/governing body in Ontario that allows the restricted act of psychotherapy or in pursuit of relevant credential
- Experience in group and individual counselling, strong customer service skills
- Experience coordinating client care with other service providers
- Demonstrated experience working with addiction, trauma, and/or concurrent disorders
- Ability to work independently; skills in presenting to large groups; ability to work within an interdisciplinary team; excellent time management and organizational skills
- Evidence of good work and attendance record
- Demonstrated commitment to Homewood’s Values (Service Excellence, Innovation, Collaboration, Integrity)
- Commitment to working within Homewood’s Health and Safety Standards
Why work with us
Homewood Health is Canada’s largest and leading service provider for medically focused, evidence-based treatment of mental health and addiction disorders. Our organizational culture values service excellence, integrity, collaboration and innovation. Our people make a difference!We offer a competitive salary, an excellent benefits package, professional development opportunities and promote a psychologically healthy workplace.
Employment Equity & Closing Statement
In accordance with the various provincial legislations that we operate under, Homewood Health is committed to working in collaboration with any team member who may require workplace accommodation in order to successfully perform any or all aspects of their role.Join us at Homewood Health™ and be part of a diverse team helping Canadians live healthier, more productive and fulfilling lives.