The Site Director will report to the Vice President of Operations, Regulatory Department and designated management as required and will oversee operations within a specific Sweetgrass facility while ensuring all site activity is compliant with the Cannabis Act and Regulations. Through strategic and tactical direction, the successful candidate will assume responsibility for the entire operation of the facility, in conjunction with the Regulatory Compliance Manager, and will direct and develop department managers in organizational efficiency and regulatory compliance.
Sweetgrass is a 100,000 + sq. ft. cannabis production facility located in Strathcona County, Alberta and is regulated by the Cannabis Act (Canada) and its Regulations. Our company offers a broad range of advancement opportunities for prospective employees and we are always looking for talented people who are interested in challenging work and continuous professional development.
- Provide general oversight of facility including all aspects of operations within the following departments, as are relevant to the facility: production, cultivation, post-harvest processing, packaging, shipping/receiving, maintenance, sanitation, administration and people operations.
- Establish strong leadership, standardization, evaluation, and deployment and management of systems and resources, ensuring involvement of the Regulatory department in site activities;
- Ensure facility’s leadership are following company policies and procedures, and are meeting operating performance targets and KPI’s;
- Collaborate with management and People Operations department to interview, hire and train new employees to support operations; collaborate with People Operations to ensure workforce plan is up to date;
- Lead regular meetings with facility operations to articulate priorities on a daily/weekly basis, ensuring work plans are designed and executed in conjunction with priorities;
- Develop and implement Operations plans following SOP’s in collaboration with Regulatory & Compliance and Quality Assurance teams;
- Manage ongoing operating performance against plans and budgets;
- Enforce and maintain all documentation in accordance to SOP’s (Standard Operating Procedures), GPP (Good Production Practices) and GAP (Good Agricultural Practices);
- Remain current with compliance and legislation pertaining to the Cannabis Act and Regulations and ensure all new regulations, policies and procedures are implemented as required and communicated accordingly, with guidance and direction from the Regulatory department; work in collaboration with facility leadership to ensure compliance with Health Canada Standards;
- Analyze and develop opportunities to increase efficiency, productivity and yield across all processes whilst remaining consistent with company policies;
- Ensure provision of HVAC, water and irrigation systems, electrical services, and fire systems; continuously monitor and evaluate life expectancy of all systems and develop preventative maintenance and corrective action programs;
- Foster collaborative relationships among management teams, departments, contractors support services, and other stakeholders;
- Review results from all facility audits and inspection reports and ensure deficiencies/deviations are addressed in a timely manner; communicate all results with Senior Level Management;
- Track and examine operational and financial data to improve profitability;
- Liaise with appropriate government bodies and external stakeholders as required to increase organizational support and profitability;
- Continuously investigate and introduce process improvement measures and communicate findings with VP of Operations; and
- Interact regularly with Senior Level Management and department managers to ensure that company organizational priorities are aligned with overall business goals and direction.
]WHAT YOU BRING:
- Bachelor’s Degree in Operations management or related field;
- Demonstrated commitment to continuous learning and development;
- Proven expertise in organizational development and operations management, lean manufacturing principles, strategic and business planning methods, project planning and coordinating;
- Familiarity with commercial cultivation and plant-based product manufacturing, cannabis phenotyping, biological pest mitigation strategies, greenhouse control systems, and product packaging lines would be an asset, but not required;
- Proficiency using word processing, spreadsheet applications, and scheduling;
- Excellent interpersonal skills including ability to demonstrate tact, assertiveness, and diplomacy with multiple stakeholders;
- Strong analytical and negotiation skills, capable of troubleshooting operations; and
- Knowledge of technical, scientific and regulatory principles related to the cannabis industry and exposure to Cannabis regulations, GMP and GPP standards and requirements, and overall regulatory environment and industry standards considered a strong asset.
You Are an EXCEPTIONAL LEADER with the ability to lead and influence a diverse team during change, while maintaining cooperation, motivation and cohesiveness in a lean environment. You evaluate team and individual progress against established targets/goals, anticipate company needs against changing organizational dynamics, and align your people to the common organizational goals and vision.
You Have STRONG BUSINESS ACUMEN with proven expertise in organizational development and operations management, strategic and business planning, commercial cultivation and plant-based manufacturing, and process engineering. You are capably of analyzing data, interpreting and applying legislation, developing systems and standard operating procedures, and managing risk based on data and statistics, while promoting compliance and ethical practices.
You Are FINANCIALLY SAVVY with good understanding of business and financial principles, and strong budgeting and inventory management skills.
- 7+ years’ operations management experience in a highly regulated industry;
- 7+ years’ experience in a large-scale production environment strongly preferred;
- 5-7 years’ people management experience;
- Demonstrated experience working with quality assurance and control in a production and/or manufacturing environment; demonstrated experience with lean production and manufacturing considered an asset; and
- Proven project and budget management experience with solid financial results.
WHAT WE OFFER
- Competitive Compensation and Benefits Package
- Rapid growth and advancement potential
- Learning and development opportunities
- Dynamic and innovative environment
- Exceptional culture
Sweetgrass is an Equal Employment Opportunity employer that values the strength of diversity within the workplace. All qualified applicants, regardless of race, colour, religion, gender, sexual orientation, marital status, gender identity or expression, nationality, age, disability or veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by applicable law, are strongly encouraged to apply.
- Dental care
- RRSP Match
- Extended health care
- Vision care
- Vacation & paid time off
Job Types: Full-time, Permanent
- Management: 5 years (Required)
- Regulated Industry : 5 years (Required)