Nature and Scope:
Reporting to the Aquatics Supervisor, the full time lifeguard/instructor delivers quality programs and services to our members and participant. This includes maintaining a safe aquatic environment at all times, educating the public regarding safe swimming habits and providing progressive instruction in the YMCA aquatic system. This includes Water Fitness.
Hours of Work:
This position requires the incumbent to be able to work flexible hours, including evenings and weekends.
- Ensure all safety and lifeguard procedures are adhered to and, in the event of an emergency, respond as trained by the association.
- Enforce all rules and regulations and maintain order in designated area as a proactive approach to ensuring safety and accident prevention.
- Plan, organize and implement core lesson plans/daily lesson plans, progress reports and evaluations.
- Maintain accurate up-to-date progress sheets and records for participants.
- Teach First Aid as required.
- Keep Daily Log up-to-date and accurate.
- Set up and take down recreational, program and other equipment as required checking that equipment is safe and in good repair. Report immediately all malfunctions of equipment and remove the damaged equipment immediately from circulation.
- Perform a safety check on lifesaving equipment prior to each shift.
- Perform cleaning duties.
- Assist in the supervision and leadership of assistant instructors and volunteers.
- Attend workshops, trainings, conferences and staff meetings as required.
- Assume other duties as assigned.
- Act as designated pool operator when required.
- NLS Certification
- YMCA and/or Red Cross and/or Lifesaving Instructors
- Standard First Aid/CPR/AED
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Standard First Aid instructor/Examiner status an asset
- Water Fitness Certification an asset
- Acceptable CRC with Vulnerable Sector Check
Leadership: Motivates and inspires self and others to take action to achieve desired outcomes.
Coaching and Development: Committed to assisting members, volunteers, and staff in continuous learning and development.
Relationship Building: Builds positive interactions with members, volunteers, staff and external partners to achieve goals.
Problem Solving: Proactively identifies issues, processes possible solutions, and selects appropriate response and implements.
Service Attitude/Customer Focus: Identifies needs and wants of members/participants as priority and responds in effective and timely manner to enhance every person’s experience.
Team Work: Ability to work effectively with others to achieve optimal collective results.
Job Type: Full-time
- National Lifeguard (Required)