- Are you looking to work in an environment where your skills can make a difference to the lives of others?
- Do you enjoy meeting, interacting and helping people who need our support?
- Do you want to make a difference or contribute to your community?
Come and join our team where you can make a real difference by helping others!
Seeking candidates who are willing to work overnights (12 midnight - 8 am) in addition to the shifts listed below. There is a premium for the hours that are worked during the overnight shifts. We are a low barrier shelter, open 24/7. Shift times operate Monday to Sunday as follows;
- 8am - 4pm
- 4pm - 12am
- 12am - 8am
This position is accountable to the Manager of Shelter Services in providing a welcoming, safe, and secure environment to those living in the First United Church’s 24/7 emergency shelter. Under the immediate direction of the Shift Supervisor, the Shelter Resource Worker will be a daily presence at the First United Church to provide support in the areas of relationship development and community engagement while performing a variety of duties to ensure the smooth operation of the emergency shelter.
*DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Create a safe, welcoming and calming environment for those staying with the First United emergency shelter and from the community using our services. Engage and develop relationships with each individual through active listening, program offerings, access to our services and being a steady presence throughout all areas of the First United Church. Will work mainly with the shelter residents.
- Act as the first point of contact for those staying in the First United Church emergency shelter. Welcomes new and returning users of the emergency shelter at First United Church by completing intakes, doing bedbug protocol, discussing shelter guidelines and ensuring basic shelter, food and hygiene needs are met.
- Maintains the smooth operation of the emergency shelter by knowing who is in the building, doing regular counts and check-ins, managing the entrance door and graciously declining entry to non-shelter users when our day program closes, doing perimeter checks as needed. Provide assistance to the Shift Supervisor as needed.
- Ensure shelter residents are aware of meal times and when the sleeping areas are open making them accessible and ready for use at the appropriate times. Provide access to work lockers as needed.
- Maintain daily documentation and information sharing through HIFIS, incident report forms, statistic reporting, attending bi-weekly Shelter Resource Shelter meetings and monthly all-staff meetings. Share community information to all staff and the community as it pertains to our daily work at the First United Church. Liaise with the Shift Supervisor and Shelter Case Planners with concerns and complete Community Care Referrals.
- Participate as a team member of the whole First United church organization. Stay knowledgeable of and be active in programs, services and special projects. Use this knowledge to engage shelter residents in participating in volunteer work, Advocacy, Clinical Outreach team, First United housing, Supportive funding, and other programs when appropriate.
- Stay observant of the environment and provide calming intervention as required to ensure the safety of everyone and policies are being respected.
- Provide first response to crisis intervention as required. Communicate with team members, Shift Supervisor and/or Manager of Shelter Services and work alongside them to deescalate and resolve situations. Call for Emergency Medical Assistance when appropriate and calling the on-shift First Aid Attendant for all injuries to staff and community members regardless of the severity. Report all incidents, observations, and unsafe conditions through the proper channels.
- Be aware and assist with the general cleanliness and organization of the First United Church including all common areas, washrooms, and sleeping areas. Dispose of belongings that have not been left in a designated spot, or when a shelter resident no longer uses the shelter services.
- Other duties as required.
*SCOPE OF RESPONSIBILITY
That nature of working in an emergency shelter is stressful and often will be supporting clients in crisis brought about by diverse life events and experiences. The Shelter Resources Worker must have the ability to function independently and under pressure, while managing a multitude of other emergency tasks. If clarification is required, it is expected that the incumbent will request further direction from the Shift Supervisor and/or Manager of Shelter Services.
- Regular communication is maintained with all levels of staff and management. Communication is also maintained with management and co-workers as work is assigned and completed, and information exchanged on an ongoing basis.
- The Shelter Resource Worker is to seek input or to exchange information about regular duties with the Shift Supervisor and/or Manager of Shelter Services.
- Effective working relationship building skills and boundary setting with vulnerable populations.
- Ability to discern relevant information, apply critical thinking and facilitate the resolution of challenging situations using diplomacy, tact, and persuasion.
- Exceptional communication skills required (written and verbal) and the ability and experience of dealing with and de-escalating conflict in a fluid work environment is essential.
- Demonstrated a strong community member focused philosophy in all interactions.
- Demonstrated a high level of initiative, self direction, flexibility and ability to adapt to, lead and manage change/changing situations.
- Willingness to participate and show initiative to participate in community events and applicable training.
- Demonstrated proof of one (1) years’ sobriety if has had drug/alcohol addictions.
- Criminal Record Clearance - Vulnerable Sector
- Minimum Grade 12
- Related training in non-violent crisis intervention is an asset
- Basic First Aid Certification
- A minimum of one year previous experience working in community based services providing direct services to “at risk” populations who have social/lifestyle risks
There is an hourly premium for overnight shift
Salary: $18.82 /hour
Job Types: Part-time, Casual
Salary: $18.82 /hour
- Community Services: 1 year (Required)