Reporting to the VP of Operations, the Plant Manager (Master Grower) is primarily responsible for the day to day production and management of labor for optimal cannabis production. The Plant Manager plays a crucial role in the quality and compliant, perpetual growing and production schedules of cannabis.
Sweetgrass is a 100,000 + sq. ft. cannabis production facility located in Strathcona County, Alberta and is regulated by the Cannabis Act (Canada) and its Regulations. Our Company offers a broad range of advancement opportunities for prospective employees and we are always looking for talented people who are interested in challenging work and continuous professional development.
Job Scope Responsibilities:
- Manage the licensed site’s Cultivation Dept. (Plant Technicians, Plant Associates) and lead in developing and maintaining operational plant programs to ensure quality and compliance under the Cannabis Act/Regulations, working cross-departmentally (i.e. Sanitation, Maintenance, QA);
- Monitor and assume responsibility for overall plant health and crop yield; ensure maximum yields, cost efficiency, and quality standards through plant strain analysis and other analytical observations;
- Oversee all tasks related to growing process, including seeding, cloning, transplanting, nutrient management, pest management, defoliation, topping, flushing, foliar, waste disposal, etc.;
- Develop and maintain nutrient regime; perform water, nutrient and soil tests to determine nutrient selection;
- Develop and maintain protocols for lighting, temperature and humidity manipulation and irrigation controls;
- Perform preventative maintenance on test instruments and growing equipment to mitigate development of plant diseases, insects and fungi;
- Maintain mother plants for research, tissue culture and future production; monitor clone production according to harvest schedules;
- Coordinate all production schedules to ensure staffing coverage and efficiency of plant operations;
- Develop and implement training programs around plant operations and record keeping compliance; Collaborate training programs with Human Resources and assess training gaps continuously;
- Keep accurate records and ensure documentation is readily accessible and highly organized;
- Maintain current knowledge of best practices for the provisions of the Cannabis Act and Cannabis Regulations that apply to the license holder; and
- Other duties as required.
Required Responsibilities as per Cannabis Regulations:
- Function as the Master Grower (MG) to support the Responsible Person (RP) or Alternate (ARP) in plant operation matters as it pertains to compliance under the Cannabis Act; Cannabis Regulations;
- Ensure that plant operations of the licensed site comply with the requirements of the Cannabis Regulations;
- Oversee cultivation, propagation and harvesting of cannabis; and
- Submit, secure and maintain a valid security clearance.
WHAT YOU BRING:
- Post-secondary Diploma or Degree in a related field (i.e. Biology, Horticulture, Plant Biology);
- 5+ years’ management experience in a similar production environment;
- Pest Management Certification;
- Recent Criminal Record Check completed (required prior to hiring);
- Proficient understanding of Cannabis Regulations compliance and application in relation to plant operations;
- Advanced knowledge of cannabis plant and genetics strongly preferred;
- Solid ERP, MS Office Suite, Adobe Pro, G-Suite and additional technical proficiency;
- Must be able to work a flexible schedule; and
- Valid security clearance (ACMPR or Cannabis Regulations) strongly preferred.
You Are FOCUSED, DETAIL ORIENTED, ORGANIZED AND METHODICAL. Nothing gets by you and you are a master at time management.
You Are an EXCEPTIONAL LEADER with developed management and coaching skills, a strong sense of integrity and work ethic.
You are a CLEAR COMMUNICATOR capable of speaking professionally, clearly and concisely.
You are a RESEARCH GURU, proficient in researching and retaining complicated compliance knowledge.
You are ADAPTABLE, able to move with shifting priorities without compromising compliance and quality.
- Demonstrable experience in responsibilities related to the position;
- Proven experience in managing teams in dynamic environments;
- Experience with perpetual harvesting and inventory control;
WHAT WE OFFER:
- Competitive Compensation and Benefits Package
- Rapid growth and advancement potential
- Learning and development opportunities
- Dynamic and innovative environment
- Exceptional culture
Sweetgrass is an Equal Employment Opportunity employer that values the strength of diversity within the workplace. All qualified applicants, regardless of race, colour, religion, gender, sexual orientation, marital status, gender identity or expression, nationality, age, disability or veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by applicable law, are strongly encouraged to apply.
Job Type: Full-time
- Plant Management: 7 years (Required)