The General Manager is accountable to the Board of Directors for his/her management of the business and its performance; he/she is accountable for all the managers. Manages and runs the dealership, in keeping with its basic objectives, geared to profit and a return on capital, personally performing the following tasks or delegating them to subordinate managers. Assumes responsibility for customer retention and the profitability of each department of the dealership. In taking on these responsibilities, adopts sound business management practices. Plans and coordinates management team activities and motivates this team.
The MAJOR TASKS are listed below, but the incumbent may be assigned to other duties.
- Represents the dealer.
- Establishes the dealership’s mission and its short, medium and long-term objectives, projects and policies, together with the dealer.
- Directs and authorizes major projects and procedures of the dealership, in keeping with established policies, and with the approval of the Board of Directors and/or the dealer.
- Ensures that the financial structure of the dealership is sound and well balanced.
- Analyzes the outcomes of dealership operations, compares them to the targeted objectives and ensures that appropriate measures are taken to correct any unsatisfactory outcomes.
- Plans and directs any inquiry and negotiations regarding mergers, joint ventures, the acquisition of other dealerships or the sale of major assets, with the approval of the Board of Directors and/or the dealer.
- Implements and maintains an efficient communication system throughout the entire dealership.
- Represents the dealer in various areas, in contacts with the major customers, the manufacturer, the shareholders, the financial community and the public. May delegate tasks to a representative.
- Plans dealership operations for the coming year and submits the plan to the dealer for approval.
- Meets with the controller/accountant every month to review department forecasts and ensure that they are consistent with the annual forecasts.
- Meets with the managers individually, to develop monthly and annual objectives and examine actual performance.
- Monitors the daily control of operations and recommends improved procedures, if necessary.
- Supplies the dealer with reports on the dealership’s financial position.
- Ensures that the monthly financial statements are complete and correct, and that they are submitted to the manufacturer in a timely manner.
- Builds and maintains good working relations with credit institutions and the manufacturer’s personnel.
- Creates efficient internal communications, by holding regular management meetings to ensure that each department is functioning efficiently and profitably.
- Ensures that the manufacturer’s policies and procedures are being observed by the various departments.
- Resolves customer complaints when the department manager has not managed to find a solution.
Tasks related to the management of human resources
- Hires, trains and motivates all the dealership’s department managers.
- Analyzes and approves employee remuneration programs.
- Analyzes all training applications, approves those which are appropriate and comply with the dealer’s objectives for professional skills and techniques; promotes the training programs and ensures that they are effective.
- Is an enthusiastic leader, helping to shape employee attitudes and improve the working atmosphere.
- Circulates management policies and procedures to all employees and ensures that they are understood and observed.
- Directs, supervises and controls all the duties of the dealership’s management or supervisory personnel and conducts formal performance evaluations of all department managers, at set intervals.
- Informs employees concerned and distributes memoranda from the manufacturer to them.
- Prepares and implements the monthly and annual marketing budgets.
- Designs and creates, together with the managers, all printed advertising, radio and television commercials, billboards, mailings and promotional pieces in the internal sales areas, as well as internal or external notices.
- Advises dealership employees of all marketing initiatives.
- Develops business strategies and participates in creating effective and economical advertising programs.
- Performs other tasks, based on the requirements and instructions of the Board of Directors and/or the dealer.
Careers with Raceway Auto Group provide:
- Competitive compensation based on experience plus bonus
- Great benefits for full-time employees
- Training for the Service Department from Duane Marino Automotive Solution's
- Advancement within the Raceway Auto Group
- Close-knit team and exciting environment
Since opening its door in 1968, Raceway Chrysler Dodge Jeep has been a top performer among Chrysler dealerships in Canada. It quickly earned a reputation second to none, thanks in large part to the strong work ethic of Ed Nimeck. He helped establish the popular dealership and went on to become President and Owner creating a proud legacy carried on by his sons Reg and Gordon Nimeck.
Today, the family business continues to flourish, in part because of the strong foundation built by Ed. Building upon that success, Reg and Gordon have added to the Nimeck operations with the acquisition of four dealerships, Galt Chrysler in Cambridge in 2011, Oakville Chrysler in 2013 and South Oakville Chrysler in 2014. Now called the Raceway Auto Group, it employee over 385 people, many of which have been with the dealerships for decades, adding a wealth of experience to the business.
Once you are part of the team, you’re part of the Raceway Auto Group family. We take care of our staff, providing complete in-house training, modern work environment and even team building events.
Looking at Raceway Auto Group’s vision and culture, the Nimeck brothers believe success comes from the great people within the organization that are knowledgeable, inspired and love what they do; people who do not only attain their personal and collective goals, but live and work to their fullest potential.
Are You Our Missing Piece? Apply Now!
Dealership: South Oakville Chrysler
Job Type: Full-time
- Automotive General Manager: 10 years (Preferred)