We are more than planes and tarmacs. Our purpose travels beyond building and managing world-class facilities and runways, and into the communities we serve. The Calgary Airport Authority is made up of nearly 300 employees who are driven by creating memorable and effortless experiences that reflect the beautiful city and region we serve. Motivated by our vision, we strive to turn the airport experience at YYC into one that air travelers are excited to be a part of.
As a primary driver of our city’s economy and growth, we have an opportunity to help make Calgary a global economic powerhouse. We believe our focus on the future will fuel our city’s next generation of prosperity. And we are ready, willing and able to step up to the challenge. At one of Canada’s busiest airports, our team is working hard to create the best possible experiences for the guests and visitors that arrive, depart and connect through our airport, and we need the help of the best people to help get us there.
Our Airfield Operations team are an integral part of our Operations team. They go above and beyond to ensure our airport’s roadways, grounds, parking facilities, runways, taxiways, equipment and aprons are well maintained for seamless operations and are compliant with regulations. The programs that support the Airfield Operations are managed by an energetic and close-knit team who collaborate with other members of the Operations team and other stakeholders to achieve strategic goals. If you thrive in a dynamic and fast-paced environment where priorities change at a rapid pace, you will fit right in with our Operations team. There is never a dull moment with this team. We love what we do, we work hard but always manage to have some fun along the way.
WHAT YOU WILL DO
We are looking for an experienced leader to support our airfield operations sustainability initiatives at Calgary International Airport (YYC). Reporting to the Director, Airfield Operations, you will plan, manage and enhance key programs, as well as provide support and direction regarding other Airfield Operations programs at Canada’s fourth busiest airport! Basically, you will be a key driver, executing much of our Airfield Operations and Fleet Management strategy.
Does this have you excited?
Here’s more of what you will do as our newest General Manager (GM):
- Provide strategic oversight, direction and mentorship to the department to align operations with the corporate strategic plan and annual business plan
- Lead the development of and execution planning of Asset Management strategic plan to ensure high performance and efficiencies
- Contribute to the general management of the Airfield Operations as one of the senior members of the leadership team.
- Develop operating plans and activities that are aligned with mission, vision and business strategies.
- Foster an attitude of team spirit that extends across all levels and functions and promote our corporate principals in support of our YYC culture
- Develop strategies to continually evolve Fleet Management and the Airfield’s Compliance management in accordance with Transport Canada and other applicable regulations
- Provide strategic oversight of the Authority’s Airfield Operations & Fleet documentation including policies, procedures, training materials and manuals
- Partner with the GM, Regulatory & Quality Assurance and GM, Airfield Infrastructure & Maintenance to minimize airfield compliance liabilities for the Calgary Airport Authority through providing support on key programs
- Track relevant best practices and conduct benchmarking analysis on emerging trends and application strategies as it relates to Fleet Management and Airfield Operations
- Work closely with the GM, Regulatory & Quality Assurance and GM, Airfield Infrastructure & Maintenance to maintain a comprehensive knowledge of legislation, standards, and policy (ex. Transport Canada Aerodrome Standards TP312) related to Airfield operation.
- Manage of a large fleet of specialized heavy-duty snow removal equipment and light vehicles with a capital value of in excess of $10 million.
- Work in partnership with various internal and external stakeholder groups to ensure operational excellence with respect to areas of own portfolio.
- Provide timely, accurate and comprehensive airfield operations & planning support to all levels of the airfield operations team to ensure sound contracting & business decisions and risk mitigation.
- Ensure an appropriate strategy and annual work plan is in place for the department in support of our business strategy.
- Champion the culture that embraces employee engagement and advances our strategic vision and mission
WHAT YOU BRING
- Post-secondary education in a related discipline such as Business Administration, Aviation Studies, Engineering or equivalent experience required
- 5 years’ minimum experience in as a proven people leader and influencer with demonstrated skills in managing and leading in a diverse unionized team environment.
- Extensive experience in aerodrome operations and planning.
- Extensive experience in fleet management, transportation specifications & application, and development of maintenance standards.
- Extensive knowledge of Transport Canada Canadian Aviation Regulations and standards related to aerodrome operations and safety, including safety management systems.
- Proven track record of implementing operational/ compliance related programs within a multifaceted organization
- Strong team player who appreciates and encourages cross divisional problem solving, thrives in a collegial atmosphere, and prefers open and productive discussions.
- Demonstrated ability to work under tight deadlines while adapting to changing priorities.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills across different levels in an organization, as well as with a variety of external partners.
- Must be able to obtain and maintain a Restricted Area Identification Card (RAIC) and Airside Vehicle Operator’s Permit (AVOP).
- Ability to network and develop strong working relationships with internal and external partners.
- Ability to consistently exercise good judgment in complex situations.
- Ability to remain calm and focused under pressure; a stabilizing influence to the organization.
- Strong analytical and conceptual skills for identifying and addressing real and potential opportunities/threats to the airfield operations.
- Demonstrated ability to resolve conflict.
Are you looking for the journey of a lifetime? One that’s focused on creating effortless and memorable experiences for millions of guests and travelers each year.