Make a difference in a growing, innovative mental health organization and centre of excellence in people-centered care. Work with supportive colleagues who are passionate about improving lives and champions for quality and continuous learning.
With over 130 years of experience, Homewood Health Centre is one of Canada's largest and leading facilities for medically focused, physician-led treatment of mental health and addiction disorders.
We are hiring a permanent part-time Registered Practical Nurse to join our Trillium unit for the Homewood Health Centre in Guelph and are looking for you.
Internal applications for positions within a bargaining unit must be received within 7 days of this position being posted to have seniority considered as a factor in selection.
What you'll be doing
- Provide care to patients admitted in psychiatric crisis requiring short stay admission to in the Intensive Care Unit and the Assessment and Stabilization program
- Contribute to fluctuating patient care needs according to CNO standards, RNAO Best Practice Guidelines, specific program philosophy and diversified patient populations
- Work from nursing care plans established by the primary nurse for each patient
- Administer psychiatric and non-psychiatric medications and treatments
- Provide group facilitation
- Assess and prevent suicide and manage aggressive behaviour through non-violent crisis intervention techniques
- Maintain accurate and timely documentation and reports
- Engage with interdisciplinary teams and individual team members as appropriate
- Act as a preceptor, mentor, coach, or resource nurse as appropriate
- Participate in clinical discussions, team meetings, and patient/family conferences
What we're looking for
- Licensed as an RPN with the College of Nurses of Ontario, in good standing
- 2+ years of experience in Mental Health/Acute Assessment/Community Crisis care
- Working knowledge of the Mental Health Act and community health resources
- Current CPR/Basic rescuer certification
- Knowledge of documentation standards (CNO), and privacy legislation (PHIPPA)
- Knowledge of CBT/DBT is an asset
- Experience with group facilitation is an asset
- Ability to effectively manage crisis situations and deal with acutely ill patients
- Current knowledge and experience of assessment and treatment of psychiatric disorders, including prevention of suicide and management of aggressive behaviour
- Previous training in boundaries, suicide awareness, and medication administration is an asset
- Ability to work independently and with multi-disciplinary team
- Proficient computer skills, and experience working with a number of systems and software applications
Why work with us
Homewood Health is Canada’s largest and leading service provider for medically focused, evidence-based treatment of mental health and addiction disorders. Our organizational culture values service excellence, integrity, collaboration and innovation. Our people make a difference!We offer a competitive salary, an excellent benefits package, professional development opportunities and promote a psychologically healthy workplace.
Employment Equity & Closing Statement
In accordance with the various provincial legislations that we operate under, Homewood Health is committed to working in collaboration with any team member who may require workplace accommodation in order to successfully perform any or all aspects of their role.Join us at Homewood Health™ and be part of a diverse team helping Canadians live healthier, more productive and fulfilling lives.