An exciting and immediate career opportunity is currently available at WFCU Credit Union for a: CONTROLLER
As the Controller, you will provide day-to-day support and oversight in the area of finance and accounting. You will lead the finance and accounting department by ensuring that relevant activities are completed in a timely manner, in accordance with reporting deadlines. In addition, you will be requested to provide ad-hoc analysis and review of specific accounting or financial information and report on the results. This position will be based in office in the Windsor-Essex region.
In summary, the Controller will:
- Manage all aspects of the general ledger, including review of reconciliations and variances.
- Perform month end duties such as closing entries, analysis, internal reporting, and regulatory reporting.
- Lead and provide coaching to the accounting & finance team.
- Assist in the preparation, analysis and interpretation of monthly, quarterly, and annual financial reports to support decision making; including the drafting of memos and whitepapers on relevant accounting issues.
- Examine and analyze accounting and financial records, documents, and systems to ensure accuracy and compliance with established standards, regulations, procedures, and internal controls.
- Preparation of the consolidated financial statements and related disclosures.
- Analyze and report on financial statement variances.
- Assist in project management and the implementation of new programs/strategies. Assist the VP, Finance in overall objectives and goals of the credit union and accounting department.
- Oversee the budget and LCE (Latest Current Estimate - Forecasting) process.
- Work with both internal and external auditors, including the development of spreadsheets and working papers to support financial statement balances.
- Research accounting issues to ensure compliance with International Financial Reporting Standards.
- Assist with governance reporting including board and executive committees.
- Any other duties as assigned.
The “must-have” skills and qualifications that we’re looking for are:
- The successful candidate must be certified as a Chartered Professional Accountant with a minimum of three to five years of experience in an accounting/finance role.
- Analytical and problem-solving skills are critical.
- Skilled people manager with strong interpersonal skills and a focus on teamwork.
- The applicant must be well-organized with a refined attention to detail.
- The ability to analyze data using Excel functionality is vital. The successful applicant will demonstrate excellent proficiency in the MS Office suite of applications, and have the technological flexibility to learn and utilize new software applications unique to the organization.
These additional skills are considered assets too:
- The applicant should be able to follow both a team-oriented and an independent learning approach to their role, and be proficient in prioritizing tasks.
- The ability to thrive in an environment that requires a high degree of multi-tasking and strong time management skills is necessary.
If you feel you’re a great fit, let us know why!
We appreciate the interest of all applicants, however, only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted. Applications may be sent to the attention of:
Human Resources Coordinator - WFCU Credit Union
3000 Marentette Avenue, Windsor, Ontario N8X 4G2
WFCU Credit Union will accommodate the needs of candidates with disabilities through our recruitment process as we are made aware of these requests. The accommodation will be based on the individual needs of the job candidate.
Working at WFCU Credit Union
For the fourth consecutive year, WFCU Credit Union has been certified as a Great Place to Work®, as well as repeatedly having been named one of the Best Workplaces in Canada™. Be part of a team committed to providing members with a high level of service while making the communities we serve the best places to live and work.
As an employee of WFCU Credit Union, you'll have the opportunity to work in a positive, goal-driven, and professional environment. Experience our unmatched commitment to opportunities for professional and self-development, employee wellness, competitive compensation and a culture of celebration!
Our award-winning HR philosophy to "hire the best, treat them well, and see them stay" is a point of pride and a key factor in our employees' success and WFCU Credit Union's success. We seek the best and brightest professionals and provide them with ample opportunity for advancement. Our industry-leading compensation package includes comprehensive benefits and training programs plus a fantastic wellness program with several distinctive perks.
It's an exciting time to join our team. To find out more, apply today!
About WFCU Credit Union
WFCU Credit Union is a leading, progressive financial organization headquartered in Southwestern Ontario. Proudly serving residents, community organizations, small businesses, commercial entities, and public institutions for over 80 years, WFCU Credit Union is the sixth-largest credit union in Ontario and 21st largest credit union in Canada.
With nine retail locations in Windsor-Essex as well as three retail locations in the Waterloo Region through ECU – A Division of WFCU Credit Union and one digital entity, Omnia Direct, we pride ourselves on serving the individual needs of over 65,000 members.
Job Types: Full-time, Permanent
- Monday to Friday
- Weekend availability
Ability to commute/relocate:
- Windsor, ON: reliably commute or plan to relocate before starting work (preferred)
- Do you know anyone that currently works at WFCU?
- Are you currently a member of WFCU?
- What are your salary expectations?
- Chartered Professional Accountant (preferred)
Work Location: In person