The Canadian Association of Midwives (CAM) believes that midwives play a unique and fundamental role in the provision of quality reproductive, maternal, and newborn health care both in Canada and internationally. We are investing in a world where every girl, woman and newborn will have access to that care – care that can save lives.
At CAM, we are a small team of dedicated individuals committed to growing the profession of midwifery in Canada and around the world. We believe that our daily work and overall mission can best be accomplished by collaborating, contributing innovative and new ideas, and maintaining an open, honest and respectful work environment. Our team members have diverse backgrounds and skill sets and contribute to maintaining a positive and inclusive workplace.
We encourage applications from all backgrounds and communities and are committed to having a team that is made up of diverse skills, experiences and abilities.
The Project Officer will coordinate the implementation, delivery, monitoring and evaluation of CAM’s role in two (2) projects in Tanzania. 1) More and Better Midwives in Rural Tanzania (2016-20) and 2) Improved Service Delivery for Safe Motherhood – Sanofi (2019-2020). The management of these projects should require 3 days a week. In addition to this the Project Officer will also support the co-ordination of the Global Programs providing administrative support to the management team and administering other small projects.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities
· Oversee the recruitment process of midwife consultants and/or volunteers with appropriate skills for the project activities according to established procedures.
· Manage consultants and/or volunteers according to the established policies and practices of the organization.
· Ensure that personnel files are properly maintained and kept confidential.
· Ensure that all project personnel receive an appropriate orientation to the organization and the project.
· Ensure that all project consultants and/or volunteers going overseas participate and complete CAM’s pre-departure training program.
Implement the project
· Execute the project according to the project work plan.
· Develop forms and records to document project activities.
· Set up files to ensure that all project information is appropriately documented and secured.
· Monitor the progress of the project and make adjustments as necessary to ensure the successful completion of the project.
· Establish a communication schedule to update stakeholders including appropriate staff in the organization on the progress of the project.
· Communicate and coordinate activities on a regular basis with project staff located in Juba.
· Ensure close collaboration and coordination with cooperating partners to guarantee smooth implementation of activities and achievement of results as specified in agreements.
· Review the quality of the work completed with the project team on a regular basis to ensure that it meets the project standards.
Monitor the project
· Write reports on the project as required.
· Work closely with CAM Finance staff for the monitoring and approval of budgeted project expenditures.
· Collaborate with CAM Finance staff to monitor project cash flow projections and report actual cash flow and variance to the Director on a regular basis.
· Work with Financial staff to ensure all project funds are managed according to established accounting policies and procedures.
· Ensure that all financial records for the project are up to date.
· Work with Finance staff to prepare financial reports and supporting documentation for funders as outlined in funding agreements.
· Write project activity reports as required by funder and senior management.
Evaluate the project
· Ensure that the project deliverables are on time, within budget and at the required level of quality.
· Evaluate the outcomes of the project as established during the planning phase.
· Work in collaboration with the Global Program team to develop tools, procedures and systems to support projects.
· Assist with project development as needed (including research, grant writing support, and logistics support for partnerships).
· Administer small projects (including research projects and partnerships) as needed.
· Provide support to the Global Project team.
· Assist with identifying new partnership opportunities for CAM and for TAMA in Tanzania.
Qualifications, Skills and Knowledge Requirements
At CAM, we recognize that experience comes in many forms, and a willingness to learn goes a long way. If your experience is close to what we’re looking for, please consider applying.
· University degree in international development or other relevant field.
· A minimum of 3 years experience in the international development sector focusing on project administration; work experience in Africa considered a strong asset.
· Strong analytical understanding of and experience in health and/or gender equality and women’s rights in international development; work experience with maternal, newborn and child health programming considered a strong asset.
· In-depth understanding of results-based management.
· Proven experience in the development and application of performance measurement frameworks.
· Knowledge and demonstrated experience of donor reporting.
· Excellent verbal and written communication skills in English.
· Strong analytical and report-writing skills.
· Commitment to gender equality and women’s rights.
· Excellent organizational and administrative skills.
· Demonstrated capacity to work both in a self-directed manner and collaboratively with other staff and stakeholders.
· Strong computer skills in word processing, spreadsheet, electronic mail and database systems.
· Demonstrated capacity to work effectively in a wide range of cultural and political settings.
Working Conditions & Location
· Work done from CAM’s head office in Montréal, Québec.
· Part time: 3-days per week February March 1st, 2020 – August 31st, 2020, 2-days per week, September 1st – October 31st (subject to change)
· Must be available to travel to Tanzania as required.
Please follow these instructions:
· Send your CV and a cover letter in one PDF document and ensure that your first and last names and the letters “PO MBM-ISDSM” are included in the file name. Applications without a cover letter will not be reviewed.
· Send your PDF by email with the subject “Project Officer MBM-ISDSM Application”
· Deadline for applications is 5pm Eastern Time on February 26th, 2020.
We thank all applicants for their interest however, only applicants selected for an interview will be contacted.
Job Types: Full-time, Contract