Haro Park Centre, located in Vancouver’s West End, was established in 1980, and is a community of care with 218 residents living in a mixed setting of Independent Suites, Assisted Living and Residential Care. We are driven by our vision to be A passionate, progressive and diverse community where people feel they belongwith a mission To enrich the lives of everyone at Haro Park by creating a caring, joyful and vibrant home. We are guided by the values of Leadership, Communication, Community, Kindness, Progress and Appreciation.
Reporting to the Director of Therapeutic Recreation, the Recreation Therapist assesses resident’s recreation/leisure needs, abilities and interests, maintains a variety of records, plans and implements therapeutic recreation care plans, evaluates the effectiveness of interventions and communicates with the resident/family and other health care team members. The Recreation Therapist contributes to the organization and delivery of programs that recognize the needs of individual residents and promote normalized living. Provides guidance to activity assistants and volunteers in the implementation of designated programs.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Gather pertinent resident information
- Assess resident’s recreation/leisure needs, abilities and interests within a specified time frame.
- Communicate assessment findings to the resident/family. Health Care Decision Maker (HCDM) and other members of the team and reassesses as necessary.
Intervention Plan and Implementation
- Develops and applies evidence-based therapeutic recreation individual program plans (IPP) with goals and objectives based on the assessment findings and facilitate participation in appropriate programs.
- Delivers individual, and group programs with the goal of enhancing life-long leisure skills and attitudes, eliminating barriers to leisure and optimizing leisure involvement of residents.
- Discusses plans with the interdisciplinary team, including resident/family/HCDM and evaluates IPP to achieve optimal health outcomes.
- Facilitates community access which may include accompanying/transporting residents according to established policies and protocols.
Documentation and Evaluation
- Ensures accountability by documenting resident progress using a standardized
- system of recording to produce legal and confidential records of care. (Point Click Care and other related tools which may change from time-to-time).
- Maintains records and statistics.
- Uses established outcome measures to evaluate the effectiveness of programs by
- methods such as preparing progress reports to reflect evidence of progress and monitoring resident response.
- Discusses programs with residents and staff to stimulate participation.
- Sets up the area equipment and supplies as required for various programs and returns equipment and supplies after the event is over.
- Is responsible for assigned programs such as, but not limited to, exercises, creative arts programs, cooking programs, outings in the community, bingo and other games, current events, horticulture, music, entertainment, literature, pet visitation, inter-generational, reminiscing and grooming programs and ensuring that they are evaluated as to their continuing appropriateness and effectiveness for the residents.
- Works in collaboration with other team members to develop new program initiatives and share ideas to build a strong home environment.
- As part of the Therapeutic Recreation Team organizes plans and implements special activities and provides guidance to activity assistants, practicum students and volunteers assigned.
- When requested, shops for necessary materials for the Therapeutic Recreation services department and for special needs of elders.
- Drives or locates driver for the community bus to transport residents to a specific activity and outings as required.
- Attends staff development programs and in-services as assigned.
- Ensures safety of the residents engaged in programming (an accreditation requirement)
- Uses Best Practice Guidelines and research as appropriate
- Performs other related duties as required.
Education, Training and Experience
The Recreation Therapist’s passion is to improve the physical, mental, and emotional well-being of residents living at Haro Park Centre. The Recreation Therapist is a dedicated and compassionate professional with experience assessing resident needs, developing care plans, and motivating residents to participate in recreation programming.
Education, Training and Experience:
Graduation from a recognized 4 year Therapeutic Recreation Degree Program or 2 year Therapeutic Recreation Diploma Program plus one year’s recent, related experience or an equivalent combination of education, training and experience.
Class 4 Driver’s License
Current Basic First Aid Certificate
Food Safe Level 1 Certificate
Serving it Right Certificate
Skills and Abilities:
- Ability to communicate effectively both verbally and in writing.
- Ability to deal with others effectively.
- Ability to organize work.
- Ability to supervise.
- Ability to operate related equipment.
- Physical ability to carry out the duties of the position.
- Preferred experience and knowledge of PointClickCare, MS Office, and Windows Programs
Job Types: Casual, Permanent