********Please visit www.trentu.ca/employment to apply for this position. Applications submitted through job boards will not be accepted.*******************
Under general direction and with minimum supervision, provides administrative support to the Director, Materials Science Graduate Program, Director, Sustainability Studies Graduate Program, and the Director, Instrumental Chemical Analysis Graduate Program, the graduate faculty, graduate students, and prospective students.
- Administers and co-ordinates the business of the three graduate programs, addressing faculty, student and public questions (e.g., complaints, concerns and general information), receiving, interpreting and conveying verbal and written information with clarity. Establishes and maintains electronic distribution lists to facilitate quick information dissemination.
- Arranges appointments; screens calls in person and by phone; sends and receives faxes; answers routine correspondence, memoranda and e-mail with brief instruction; uses discretion when handling confidential material. Responds to students/applicants’ questions regarding application, admission and program requirements.
- Provides administrative services to the Graduate Program Directors, graduate faculty and liaises with the Graduate Studies Office.
- Assists the director with the coordination with UOIT administration and faculty necessitated by the joint nature of the Materials Science PhD program
- Creates applicant files for graduate programs, including maintaining applicant files, writing samples, etc; assists the Graduate Directors with program admissions, and sending recommendations for admissions to the Graduate Studies Office. Coordinates with the School Graduate Studies Office acceptances and rejections and mailing of letters. Produces and sends rejection letters to unsuccessful applicants.
- Orients new graduate students, both by organizing an orientation session and individually as necessary.
- Coordinate course scheduling, room bookings and registration. Responsible for ensuring students are registered each term, including monitoring enrolment, leaves of absences, etc.
- Counsel graduate students on program matters and notify director of potential problems.
- Maintains students’ confidential files and academic records Program (e.g., applications and academic records; course offerings, registration, time-limit extensions, leaves of absence, and class lists) and, when requested, selects and compiles information and statistics from these records (student enrolment, audit data, staffing, teaching loads, class sizes). while following relevant policies.
- Provides administrative services to graduate students, including their email accounts, requesting keys, mailbox, arranging for office space.
- Tracks funding eligibility for graduate students, including entrance scholarships, ensuring stipend forms are completed for graduate students as required, ensuring submission of forms RFA's, etc.
- Coordinates graduate faculty appointment applications. Maintains files of Graduate, Adjunct and Special Graduate faculty for the respective programs.
- In collaboration with the Graduate Directors, makes changes to and submits the graduate calendar copy and assists with the creation and revision of the program handbook.
- Assists with program reviews.
- Aids Directors with the development of new policies and procedures.
- Maintains graduate program operating budget and the graduate student overhead budget. Orders and maintains office supplies and copy cards for the program. Advises the Director of budgetary expenses.
- Arranges yearly supervisory committee meetings with each graduate student and their committee members.
- Tracking of graduate student information, including supervisory committees, committee meeting dates, etc. into colleague/graduate student database, and keeps alumni database of addresses, employment, etc.
- Coordinates thesis/dissertation defense, liaises with candidates, their supervisor, committee members and external examiner to set date and time for defenses. Coordinates video-conferencing (if applicable) ensuring final steps of degree completion. Arranges travel, accommodation, and reimbursements for the external examiner.
- Responsible for ensuring progress reports are submitted annually for all graduate students; including liaising with all graduate supervisors to ensure completion of forms. Assists with managing forms and paperwork related to student placements.
- Ensuring students are aware of course offerings; responsible for room bookings and schedule maintenance of graduate courses.
- Prepares and assists in design and revisions of graduate posters, brochures, etc. for promotional purposes and recruitment fairs.
- Maintains and updates the graduate website, including design and creation as required.
- Arranges colloquiums, visiting speakers, seminar series, etc. for graduate programs.
- Provides support for program committee meetings, including scheduling, taking minutes and dissemination of the minutes
- Supervise a work study student to assist in the office.
- Undertakes other office duties and tasks as requested by the Directors of the Materials Science and Sustainability Studies Graduate Programs.
General University Degree (3 year) in a Business/Administrative Professional Program required.
1. Two years of general experience, and one year of directly-related secretarial office experience required.
2. Computer knowledge and experience necessary. Experience using MS Excel and Word required.
3. Excellent interpersonal and communication skills; comfortable working closely with faculty and graduate students.
4. Excellent organizational skills and demonstrated ability to take initiative are essential; must be able to work independently.
5. Website training or experience in design, development, and/or maintenance an asset.
Some knowledge of Trent University and Trent’s Graduate Programs a definite asset __
Job Types: Full-time, Contract
Salary: $27.14 to $32.05 /hour