Equities Sales and Trading, Capital Markets
What is the opportunity?
RBC Capital Markets is a part of the Royal Bank of Canada, one of the largest providers of financial services in the world. RBC ranks among the top five banks in North America by market capitalization and has one of the highest credit ratings of any financial institution in the world.
Internship opportunities exist within RBCCM for energetic, bright and talented undergraduates and graduates. The co-op program extends for 16 weeks and provides interns the opportunity to gain in-depth, hands-on experience while working and learning alongside our experienced market professionals.
In selecting intern candidates, we look for well-rounded individuals with a track record of outstanding academic achievement, proven technical and analytical skills and a diversity of extracurricular activities. Other essential qualities we look for include strong oral and written communication skills, leadership qualities, initiative and the ability to play a key role as a team member in a fast-paced and challenging work environment. Fluency in more than one language is an asset.
What will you do?
This opportunity will be highly initiative-driven and in addition to set responsibilities the student will excel by seeking out their own opportunities to learn and add value. Key responsibilities include:
- Researching news and information sources such as Bloomberg, Reuters, Thomson and print any online media to develop consolidated reports
- Creating the morning notes, mid-day update, energy/mining notes and market share/close notes
- Analyzing trading volumes, trading values, internal communications and internal research reports to document and summarize trading activity
- Updating Corporate and Analyst marketing data
- Providing phone coverage throughout the day
- Completing various research projects such as investment theses
- Liaising directly with Sales Professionals and Traders to complete special assignments and support as necessary
What do you need to succeed?
Nice to have:
- Successful completion of a minimum of first year of a business/economics/finance or related degree
- Basic market knowledge and a demonstrated keen interest in capital markets
- Strong research abilities and excellent analytical and communication skills
- Extremely motivated and able to take initiative in order to identify ways to add value and improve practices
- Demonstrated problem-solving skills, business sense and the ability to multi-task and prioritize in high pressure environments
- Proficient with the use of Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Outlook
- Office hours tied to global markets: 6 a.m. to 6 p.m.
- CSC and CPH preferred and enrolment in CFA a strong asset
- Prior related work experience valued
- Prior use of Bloomberg, Thomson and Reuters preferred
In order for your application to be considered, please specify the university or business school you are currently attending and your program of study on the application form.
What’s in it for you?
We thrive on the challenge to be our best, progressive thinking to keep growing, and working together to deliver trusted advice to help our clients thrive and communities prosper. We care about each other, reaching our potential, making a difference to our communities, and achieving success that is mutual. At RBC, you will have opportunities to:
- Interact with leaders who support your development through coaching and managing
- Make a difference and lasting impact through meaningful work
- Work in a dynamic, collaborative, progressive, and high-performing team
- Participate in a world-class training program in financial services
- Complete to do challenging work
- Build close relationships with clients
- Access a variety of job opportunities across business and geographies
This position is highly initiative-driven. In addition to the Sales and Trading Assistant’s set responsibilities, the chosen candidate will have the ability to excel at their role and in their personal development by identifying learning opportunities and ways to add value to the functioning of the trading floor.
Some of the key outcomes of this role are:
- Exposure to the various functions of the Sales and Trading department of a top-tier investment bank
- Students are given the opportunity to engage with and learn from industry professionals such as Sales Associates, Coverage Traders, Hedge Fund Sales and Trading Desk, Electronic and Portfolio Traders, Liability Traders and Derivatives Traders
- May be given the chance to attend relevant conferences, company meetings, Research Analyst’s presentations and listen to conference calls
- Develop proficiency and fluency in the areas of market conditions, equity-specific knowledge, investor behaviour and trading floor dynamics
- Strengthen equity research abilities and develop skills in the use of specific research tools such as Bloomberg, Thomson, Reuters, Mind Align, DS Book and RBC CMXpress.
- Develop an understanding of investment strategies, financial instruments, commodity markets and equity transaction processes
How to apply?
We encourage you to apply as soon as possible as we accept applications on a rolling basis, but please note that the formal application deadline is July 12th, 2020. Should you be selected to progress, someone from our team will reach out directly to provide instructions on next steps. Otherwise, feel free to check for progress updates by logging in to your RBC profile. If the status has not changed, it denotes the fact that your application is still under review.
Please submit your cover letter, unofficial transcript and resume online by 07/12/2020
We thank all interested candidates; however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
Join our Talent Community
Stay in-the-know about great career opportunities at RBC. Sign up and get customized info on our latest jobs, career tips and Recruitment events that matter to you.
Expand your limits and create a new future together at RBC. Find out how we use our passion and drive to enhance the well-being of our clients and communities at rbc.com/careers.
200 Bay St