This regular full-time position is available June 1, 2020. Regular hours of work are 8:30 am to 4:30 pm Monday to Friday; some evening work will be required to support committees and events and during peak periods. Travel between Douglas College’s locations as required.
What Douglas Offers
DO what you love. Be good at it. That’s how Douglas College defines a great career. It’s a philosophy that resonates through our classrooms, our offices and our boardrooms. It inspires our students and drives us to make Douglas College one of BC’s Top Employers. We love what we do. And we’re looking for passionate, motivated people to join us in making one of Canada’s best colleges even better.
Reporting to the Vice President Academic and Provost, this position provides confidential administrative support to the Vice President and the Academic Division. The work often involves sensitive and/or highly confidential issues. This position is challenged to screen and identify matters which require the Vice President’s attention and to bring these forward in a timely manner. During the absence of the Vice President, this position is accountable for prioritizing and re-directing issues to an appropriate source.
Decisions impact the efficient administrative management of the Vice President’s office and the Academic faculties. The position communicates with senior officials of other educational institutions, government agencies, college faculty and staff, private organizations and industry.
Performs all confidential administrative support functions pertaining to the efficient and effective operation of the Vice President Academic and Provost’s office. This position constitutes the formal channel through which sensitive, emergent, and confidential matters reach the Vice President.
Confidential Executive Support
- Acts as the first point of contact to the Vice President Academic and Provost for individuals within the college, as well as students and representatives of outside organizations such as government agencies, other education organizations, service providers, etc.; exercises judgment in determining the information to be provided and/or refers to the appropriate individual as required.
- Serves as a liaison with internal and
external contacts, including Management,
Faculty and Staff, in the resolution of day-
to-day administrative and operational
problems relating to divisional matters; provides information including interpretation of established College policies, procedures, and regulations.
- Coordinates, prioritizes, and manages the Vice President’s calendar; independently troubleshoots if meeting conflicts occur and/or urgent matters arise that need immediate attention; ensures the Vice President has necessary materials in preparation for the meeting.
- Receives all correspondence and determines appropriate course of action, including composing responses on routine issues, obtaining information pertaining to a request, or referring to appropriate individual as required; follows up as necessary.
- Develops and maintains secure record systems for documents and files of a confidential or sensitive nature; e.g. budget submissions, performance evaluations, potential program or personnel changes, personnel records, strategic goals and objectives.
- At the request of the Vice President, prepares draft correspondence, presentations, agreements, reports and position papers, many of a highly confidential nature.
- Organizes and coordinates meetings, interviews, events, and activities for the Vice President and divisional staff as required, including venue, travel and logistics, itinerary, event registration; prepares supporting documentation as required.
- Coordinates special projects as assigned by the Vice President; undertakes data collection/research, analysis, and summary reporting on items as requested.
- Assists with the development of administrative procedures and recommends improvements as appropriate.
- Manages the tracking of proposals for new academic programs or program revisions through the governance review and approval process to ensure courses may be scheduled as planned; advises Deans, Associate Deans, faculty and staff on process and follows up to ensure timely input to the appropriate committees required for the approval process.
- Coordinates the preparation of the operational budget, capital budget, and capital requests for the office of the Vice President; may liaise with facilities and purchasing to obtain quotations for budget items for submission and consideration.
- Participates in the budget processes for the Dean’s offices by working with Administrative Officers to assemble capital budget requests, tracking and summarizing requests, monitoring and following up on decisions; tracks and reconciles requested and approved extra teaching sessions and provides reports to the Finance Department.
- Monitors the budget accounts and expenditures for the office of the Vice President; identifies discrepancies and takes necessary action to have them corrected.
- Reviews, verifies and reconciles expense claim reports, invoices, and cheque requisitions and submits for processing.
- Prepares agreements for contractors; tracks invoices and payments against budget.
- Coordinates and attends College and divisional meetings for which the Vice President is chair or management resource.
- Prepares meeting agendas and prepares and/or assembles supporting documentation; coordinates calendar invites and room booking arrangements; records minutes at meetings the Vice President is required to chair; prepares and distributes minutes in a timely manner.
- Prepares lists of action items and follows up as necessary.
- Identifies agenda submission deadlines and ensures pertinent items are placed on meeting agendas.
- Participates on College project teams and committees related to administrative processes and procedures.
- Chairs the Academic Division Administrative Officer meetings to discuss divisional procedures, facilitate problem-solving, and serve as liaison between faculty administrative support and the Office of the Vice President and Provost.
- Provides confidential administrative support to the Research Ethics Board, including tracking research application approvals and attending meetings when required.
Human Resource Support
- Coordinates employee performance evaluations for divisional excluded employees as required, including maintaining schedule/calendar for evaluations, initiating review process, receiving completed evaluation documentation, and preparing evaluation summaries.
- Assembles vacation entitlement and carry-over information for excluded employees of the division; prepares quarterly and annual summary reports for Finance.
- Coordinates, assigns, and reviews the work of two unionized support staff; trains, coaches and evaluates staff; participates in recruitment, selection, discipline.
- Coordinates vacation and other leave schedules for staff.
- Maintains and updates information on the Division’s web and DC Connect Intranet pages.
To Be Successful in this Role You Will Need
- Completion of a two-year program in Office Administration or an equivalent combination of training and experience. Degree preferred.
- Progressively responsible office administrative experience with at least five years’ experience in a senior administrative support position.
- Excellent organizational, presentation, written and oral communications skills; demonstrated expert level proficiency in using computer software packages for word processing, spreadsheets, databases, and presentation.
- Experience taking and transcribing meeting minutes in a senior administrative environment.
- Demonstrated ability to work independently and meet deadlines.
- Demonstrated ability to work positively and professionally with the public, government departments and employees at all levels of an organization.
- Ability to exercise good judgment in recognizing scope of authority and protecting confidential and sensitive information.
- Ability to perform administrative duties with deliberate speed and accuracy without immediate and constant supervision.