Astellas Pharma Canada is currently searching for a Medical Science Liaison for the
territory of Quebec and Atlantic Canada reporting to the Associate Director, Medical
Science Liaison. Bilingual oral and written skills (English/French) are mandatory for this
position. It is preferred that the incumbent reside in the Greater Montreal Area.
The Medical Science Liaison (MSL) serves as the field scientific/medical expert in delivering
the MSL mandate of facilitating non-promotional scientific exchange and translating scientific
knowledge into value for patients in alignment with Astellas’ corporate strategic direction.
This role is responsible for the successful implementation of regional field-based
medical/scientific tactics of the Therapeutic Area (TA) Medical Strategic Plan.
Essential Job Duties
Stakeholder Relationship Activities:
- Lead the development and implementation of a Stakeholder Engagement Plan that
addresses the medical needs of stakeholders in alignment with the TA Medical
Affairs strategic plan and corporate business priorities.
- Develop trusted relationships with stakeholders that deliver non-promotional
scientific/medical value in a timely manner with the goal of improving patient care.
- Investigates and understands medical landscape within the region and implement
a MSL Regional Plan to address existing or future scientific gaps, in collaboration
with the MSL Senior Manager and Associate Director.
Research Support Activities:
- In collaboration with Research Operations, identify and understand site research
capabilities within assigned region.
- Identify potential investigators for upcoming research activities based upon the
criteria set by the study teams.
- Conduct regional research profiling initiatives and communicate insights.
- Provide TA expertise for study sites as needed (i.e. site initiation visit, throughout
the study) to identify changes in the medical landscape.
Canada Medical Plan Deliverables:
- Support Investigator Sponsored Research requests, as needed.
- Interpreting, applying and communicating stakeholder insights from regular field
interactions to shape the medical strategy.
- Identifying and supporting international, national and regional scientific meetings,
including collection of scientific insights from sessions and stakeholders.
- Supporting regional expert meetings, internal training (e.g. disease management,
product info etc.), and other medical tactics.
Non-Promotional Scientific Exchange Activities :
- Presenting scientific data in various venues including as requested by various
stakeholders including physicians, pharmacists, and formulary committees.
- Discussing approved scientific information with stakeholders regarding Astellas
products and disease state management concepts as appropriate.
- Identifies opportunities/speakers for regional Medical Education events that align
with the Medical Affairs TA Strategic Plan and collaborates with Medical Education
to develop and implement the program, including speaker training and content
development for other learning activities.
- Maintains advanced scientific expertise and understanding of the relevant TA
disease, Astellas pre-marketed and approved products; as well as competitor
- Maintains in-depth knowledge and understanding of Astellas Medical Governance
framework, global and local SOPs, Innovative Medicines Canada and Health
- Ensures that all activities are compliant with medical governance guidelines and
are consistent with the APCA Corporate Code of Ethics.
- Advanced scientific degree including Ph.D., Phar.D., MD, M.Sc. in a healthcare or
- A high level of scientific expertise with a proven ability to interpret and effectively
communicate complex clinical data.
- Consistently build and maintain trusting relationships with internal and external
stakeholders to establish Astellas as a credible partner.
- Strong strategic thinking ability, operating with a sense of urgency to respond to
business needs in a timely manner and solid business acumen.
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively in a matrix organization.
- Excellent interpersonal skills for successful cross-functional collaborations with internal
partners is essential.
- Demonstrated independence in managing assigned projects within established
- Familiarity with all aspects of clinical trial processes.
- Knowledge and adherence to local regulatory agency (Health Canada) policies, the
Innovative Medicines Code of Ethical Practices and Good Clinical Practices (GCP)
- Complex problem solving skills.
- Able to manage a frequent travel schedule, with up to 40% overnight travel.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office.
- Prior MSL and therapeutic area experience is an asset.
If your skills and experience match our needs, please email your resume to:
Astellas Pharma Canada welcomes and encourages applications from people with
disabilities. Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all
aspects of the hiring process.
No telephone inquiries, in-person applications, or agencies please. While we appreciate all
applications, only candidates under consideration will be contacted.