Duties and Responsibilities:
Reporting directly to the Senior External Relations Officer and the Media and External Relations Officer, the Communications Assistant will advance the strategic communications goals of the Sprott School of Business by providing communications support in the promotion of School’s activities, programs and people to internal and external audiences.
This position will provide the incumbent with the opportunity to advance their communications skills in content creation, social media, news story writing, interviewing, photography and videography, and will contribute to internal engagement and raising the profile of the Sprott School of Business.
The incumbent must possess the following qualifications:
Education and Experience:
The above is normally acquired through the completion of:
- Must maintain current knowledge of industry trends and best practices in communications;
- Must be knowledgeable in and proficient using social media tools for communications, such as Twitter, Instagram, LinkedIn, etc.
- Ability to write for a variety of communications mediums and audiences;
- Must possess exceptional interpersonal skills and be comfortable in communicating and working collaboratively with faculty, students, staff, web developers, alumni, as well as external partners;
- Creative and able to think outside the box to generate ideas for digital and internal communications;
- Must be willing to take initiative on communications activities;
- Ability to translate abstract ideas into tactical communications activities aligned to organizational objectives
- Must be able to execute communications strategies and evaluate their effectiveness;
- Knowledge and experience in coordinating projects that involve coordinating the contributions of multiple people to meet tight deadlines is an asset;
- Must be able to organize multiple tasks and prioritize demands;
- Excellent problem solving skills and the ability to find solutions to emerging issues in a timely manner;
- Must be willing to learn and adapt to new technologies (web-based or otherwise) that benefit the operations of the Sprott School of Business;
- Demonstrate excellent interpersonal skills, including the ability to exercise judgement, tact, diplomacy and discretion to current and potential students and members of the public;
- Must be able to promote the Sprott School of Business and its programs.
- An honours degree from a university in, Communications, Journalism or Marketing, or related discipline;
- Minimum one to two years related communications experience;
- Demonstrated excellent written and oral communications skills;
- Demonstrated knowledge and experience in social media, photography and Videography, and corporate communications;
- Excellent knowledge and expertise with the following software: Microsoft Office, open source content management systems, photo editing software, a variety of social media, and social media management tools such as Hootsuite