Reporting to the Director of Marketing and Communications and working collaboratively with the MC team, the Writer/Editor is responsible for creating and editing content and concepts which articulate the College's Identity; in support of North Island College's strategic direction, marketing objectives, and brand development.
The incumbent creates written content for use in a wide range of media; including online, social media, publications, print, outdoor, video, promotion, sponsorship, events and corporate communications. The incumbent's work is predominantly assigned on a project-basis, and follows project management principles in creation, implementation, execution and completion, including achieving agreed deadlines and adhering to budgets.
The Writer/Editor is aware of the Mission and Values of North Island College, and incorporates the values in everyday practice.
- Job Knowledge
- Planning & Organization
- Customer Service Excellence
- Communication & Interpersonal Skills
Duties and Responsibilities
1. Supports NIC's brand identity and program offerings by developing related content
2. Creates and maintains program-related content for all of NIC's communication channels, guided by NIC's strategic plan.
3. Maintains Marketing elements of the program database
4. Works as part of a team to maximize NIC exposure in all media channels.
5. Responsible for accurate representation of the facts and ensures accuracy and appropriateness of materials, by maintaining editorial integrity.
6. Maintains internal and external professional relationships in support of the NIC brand and product offerings.
7. Maintains close contact with NIC students, faculty, alumni, employees, stakeholders and communities.
8. Provides content support for websites and related web applications utilizing the College's helpdesk system.
9. Implements new content initiatives to promote specific programs and services, (such as; news, competitions, activities, etc.)
10. Delivers content and promotions to support program specific online audiences to increase enrolment
11. Considers the strengths weaknesses of activities and makes recommendations for continuous improvement.
12. Edit and guide the writing of others in a collaborative and respectful fashion
13. Interview and report on events.
14. Manage projects and multiple tasks and meet tight deadlines with minimal supervision.
15. Applies technical knowledge and ability to create written content for use in a wide range of media; including online, publications, print, outdoor, video, promotion, sponsorship, events and corporate communications, and other mediums as and when developed.
16. Develops communications to support NIC's strategic direction, marketing and communication goals and NIC brand.
17. Maintains and adheres to NIC editorial style guides.
18. Adheres to agreed project deadlines and budgets and prioritizes workload to achieve them.
19. Researches independently and contributes as a team member on solutions to College-wide communication needs.
20. Ensures ongoing professional development of knowledge and ability, through self-development, sharing of best marketing practices, and participating in activities in support of the development of the marketing team, via team collaboration on collective projects, attending conferences and formal training.
21. Recommends software and hardware technology related to writing.
22. Performs additional responsibilities and duties as delegated by the Director of Marketing and Communications.
Required Education & Experience
- Bachelor's Degree in Communication, Business, Marketing, Journalism or English.
- Minimum of 3 years' experience in a writing position, preferably in the Communications or Marketing department of a post-secondary institution.
a. Technical writing ability, product developer,
b. ability to re-edit content for various stages of the consumer decision making process
Required Knowledge, Skills, & Abilities
Writing and Editing Skills
1. Exceptional writing skills with the ability to write and edit for multiple genres (marketing, journalism, public relations, technical, social media, and more).
2. Proven ability to speak to the hearts and minds of unique audiences through a current and quality portfolio.
3. Ability to identify an audience and create a relevant, compelling case that transforms interest to action.
4. Strong command of branding and marketing fundamentals evidenced in experience gained.
5. Ability to follow existing CP Style guidelines.
6. Demonstrated ability to write and edit original copy and layout in preparation for publication.
7. Strong analytical ability and scrupulous attention to detail.
8. Ability to translate complex information into easy-to-understand information.
1. Ability to demonstrate effective team behaviours such as active listening, collaboration, balanced participation, and contributing to shared team goals.
2. Excellent organizational and time management skills with the ability to prioritize multiple tasks paying close attention to detail and deadlines.
3. Excellent interpersonal and customer service skills, with the demonstrated ability to exercise tact, good judgment and diplomacy.
4. Proven project management skills.
5. Self-motivated, well organized, results-oriented and effective time manager.
6. Ability to work well independently or as part of a team, including the ability to build consensus and work effectively within cross-departmental teams.
7. Ability to maintain accuracy and richness of content when working under tight deadlines.
1. Advanced level of proficiency with MS Office Applications.
2. Intermediate level of proficiency with Adobe Suite Software (version 5 or higher), in particular: InDesign.
3. Ability to use online tools to create, post and edit information.
4. Accurate and efficient keyboarding/word processing skills of 60 wpm.
Special Instructions to Applicants