If you are civic minded and interested in making an impact on people and businesses on the beautiful North Shore, consider working for the District of North Vancouver.
Home to vast parkland and attractions including Grouse Mountain, Lynn Canyon and Capilano Suspension Bridge, the District is inspired by nature, and enriched by people. The District offers exciting professional development opportunities and a competitive total compensation package. We are a flexible, family-friendly employer with an inclusive work-place culture.
We currently have two opportunities at the Ecology Centre located at Lynn Canyon Park for auxiliary Ecology Centre Attendant 2:
- The first is for occasional weekend work only from April to end of June, with the potential to return in the fall (early September). The Ecology Centre weekend hours are noon to 4:00pm (October to May) and 10:00am to 5:00pm (June to September).
- The second is a 9-week summer position (July and August). The working week for this position would be Sunday through Thursday. The daily hours will be from 9:00am to 5:00pm.
You will be responsible for assisting the public in interpreting exhibits and displays, conducting educational tours, and assisting superiors in the research and preparation of exhibits and displays. Duties will also include the supervision of play activities for a small group of children, such as weekend family programs and delivery of birthday party programs, and performing a variety of operational and minor custodial tasks, such as working at the front desk, answering calls, and handling sales.
The successful applicant will have:
- Working knowledge of the rules, regulations and practices applicable to the operation of the Ecology Centre and of the attractions and activities therein, along with working knowledge of the principles of ecology and the history, economy and culture of the community;
- Ability to deal effectively with the public, develop and lead educational programs, provides factual information, direct visitors to various exhibits and displays and supervise the activities of a small group of children;
- Ability to perform a variety of operation and minor custodial tasks related to the operation of the Ecology Centre, and the maintenance of exhibits and displays, including the ability to exercise some initiative in gathering information and material for the preparation of displays;
- Ability to understand and follow oral and written instructions and perform all duties under general supervision; along with ability to operate audio video presentation equipment, and simple manual tools as required.
Grade 12, supplemented by courses relating to the Biological Sciences plus some experience in dealing with the public; preferably some experience in nature-house work or an equivalent combination of training and experience. The ideal candidate will have some experience in education, specifically outdoor or nature-based education.
The hourly rate for this unionized position is $23.52 per hour (2019 rates) plus 12% in lieu of all benefits.
If you are interested in either of these positions, and have a passion to serve people and the community, we would like to hear from you. Please apply on-line with your cover letter and resume at www.dnv.org/careers by March 8, 2020. *Please identify in your cover letter which of the positions you are interested in being considered for, or if you are interested in both.*
We thank you for your interest in employment with the District of North Vancouver and advise that only those shortlisted for an interview will be contacted.