Staff - Non Union
Non Union Technicians and Research Assistants
Non Union Salaried - Research Assistant /Technician 2
Research Assistant 2
Hematology Research Program | Department of Medicine | Faculty of Medicine
$3,703 - $4,413 CAD Monthly
Posting End Date
March 8, 2021
Applications will be accepted until 11:59 PM on the day prior to the Posting End Date above.
Job End Date
Mar 13, 2021
The VGH Division of Hematology at the University of British Columbia, Vancouver, is seeking a research assistant for our research program. The Hematology Research Program conducts phase I, II and III clinical trials, registries and other clinical research in patients with a variety of benign and malignant hematologic disorders. The assistant will work under the supervision of the Director and Program Manager of the Hematology Research Program and principal investigators (PI) to fulfill research-related responsibilities in a professional and ethical manner.
The Research Assistant will work with a team of research staff, administrative staff, physicians, nurses and liaise with other healthcare professionals to ensure that each study is conducted to meet or exceed regulatory and institutional standards. This position requires frequent contact with physicians, nurses, pharmacists, and other hospital staff. The assistant may be the primary contact with the Research Ethics Board (REB), industry sponsors, government and other not-for-profit granting agencies, and regulatory bodies for research studies. Strong written and verbal communication in English and interpersonal skills are essential.
- Assists with research work by performing specific assigned tasks, including preparing REB applications, consent forms and provisos, and organizing and completing study regulatory documents, forms and questionnaires in a timely manner.
- Liaises with different hospital departments to obtain study institutional approvals and maintain research- related records.
- Performs data capture and data entry for databases following study protocols and procedures.
- Performs venipuncture and processes, ships and stores blood samples by following established technical procedures according to study protocols.
- Assists in analyzing and interpreting research data, including assembly, compilation, reconciliation, and summary of statistical and other data, under supervision of the research coordinators, managers and PIs.
- Performs filing, organizing, collating, and archiving records according to program procedures and processes.
- Assists and prepares documents for study-related expenses and patient reimbursements as required.
- Maintains inventory and distributes supplies for research studies and offices.
- Assists in organizing site initiation visits, study closures, and regulatory audits.
- Demonstrates work routines or procedures to less experienced staff as designated.
- Adheres to tight timelines and meets strict deadlines to facilitate study conduct and progress.
- Reports problems and issues to research coordinators and research manager.
- Carries out any other related duties as required in keeping with the qualifications and requirements in this position.
- Performs other tasks and provides research support as directed.
Consequence of Error/Judgement
Works within well-defined guidelines and procedures, but exercise judgment in establishing priorities and carrying tasks through to completion in a timely manner; liaises with hospital departments and refers new or unusual problems to supervisor.
Works under the supervision of Program Manager and Research Coordinators in carrying out duties and responsibilities; receives instructions during orientation and on subsequent new assignments or changes in procedures.
May distribute work assignments to employees at lower classification level, including students.
High school graduation, some additional training in a related field and a minimum two years of related experience or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
High School graduation. Graduation from a recognized undergraduate degree required in a health-related field (e.g. BSc, BScN, RN, LPN, pharmacy) preferred. Minimum of 2 years related experience or the equivalent combination of education and experience. Related experience in clinical research is preferred, other research experience will be considered.