Make a difference in a growing, innovative mental health organization and centre of excellence in people-centered care. Work with supportive colleagues who are passionate about improving lives and champions for quality and continuous learning.
We are hiring an Addiction Counsellor for the Emergency Mental Health and Addictions Services (MHAEFUS) team within the Homewood Health Centre and are looking for you. You’re a great fit, if you thrive in a fast-paced environment, are passionate about innovation, foster collaboration, and are committed to service excellence.
As part of the Emergency Mental Health and Addiction Services umbrella, the Addiction Counsellors work as a part of the interdisciplinary team. Addictions Counselling services are available to patients of the Guelph General Hospital through the Mental Health Clinicians in the Emergency Department and Short Stay Assessment Unit as well as the Consult Liaison.
The overarching goal of the Addiction Counselling support is to provide appropriate, empathetic, non-judgmental and respectful care urgently to individuals identifying any sort of problematic substance use while ultimately helping the client to increase their quality of life and decrease the time spent in crisis and in hospital.
Hours of Work:
Casual Part-time, 12 hour shifts, Occasional Evenings and Weekends.
What you'll be doing
- Provide client-centered support to individuals dealing with significant addiction concerns, inclusive of a harm reduction approach
- Provide crisis intervention, de-escalation and conduct ongoing clinical risk assessment
- Provide individual counselling utilizing evidence-informed practices including (but not limited to) Motivational Interviewing, Stage-Matched Intervention, Trauma-Informed approaches, Brief Solution-focused Therapy, CBT and DBT informed approaches
- Engage in collaborative treatment plans to successfully identify problematic behaviours
- Collaborate and laisse with external community services
- Provide support and consultation to Guelph General Hospital staff
- Facilitate groups and programs tailored to individuals who use substance and identify at any stage of change
What we're looking for
- Must hold valid registration with the relevant college/governing body in Ontario or in pursuit of relevant credential.
- Certification in Addiction Counselling (ICADC) preferred
- Membership with Canadian Addiction Counsellors Certification Federation (CACCF) preferred
- GAIN training completed, and or working towards
- Experience working with chemical dependence and concurrent psychiatric disorders (Borderline Personality Disorder, Axis II, Psychosis, Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder, Major Depressive Disorder)
Minimum 3-5 years' experience in group and individual counselling and experience in foundational and process groups (personal exploration groups), with demonstrated knowledge and skills in this approach
Why work with us
Homewood Health is Canada’s largest and leading service provider for medically focused, evidence-based treatment of mental health and addiction disorders. Our organizational culture values service excellence, integrity, collaboration and innovation. Our people make a difference!We offer a competitive salary, an excellent benefits package, professional development opportunities and promote a psychologically healthy workplace.
Employment Equity & Closing Statement
Homewood Health Inc. is committed to ensuring that its teams reflect the diversity of our community and welcomes applications from all qualified individuals. In accordance with the various provincial legislations that we operate under, Homewood Health is committed to working in collaboration with any team member who may require workplace accommodation in order to successfully perform any or all aspects of their role.Join us at Homewood Health™ and be part of a diverse team helping Canadians live healthier, more productive and fulfilling lives.