Hiring Relief Captain (MV Swell):
MV Swell (O.N. 130882). 1912 80-foot classic converted tug to luxury passenger vessel.
Aug 30th - Sep 18th
Maple Leaf Adventures is a highly respected marine ecotourism company that operates small ship nature cruises to world-class wilderness destinations along the coasts of British Columbia and Alaska.
Our ships are certified passenger vessels, but they are not cruise ships. Each is unique and hand-built with purpose. Maple Leaf is a classic, 92-foot schooner. She accommodates up to 8 guests, and a crew of 5. Swell is a beautiful, classic, converted tugboat. She accommodates up to 12, and a crew of 5. Cascadia is a luxury, expedition style catamaran. She accommodates up to 24, and a crew of 10.
Our Maple Leaf Crew have an immense amount of enthusiasm for environmental sustainability, natural history, fostering the local economy, connections with science and discovery, and sharing the coast’s wonders with our guests. Our ideal candidate is flexible and organized with proven ability to anticipate the needs of guests and overall operations.
The Swell Captain will be responsible for operating pre-scheduled guest travel in a variety of locations around BC’s central and southern coast. Assisted by a crew of five (inclusive) and hosting up to eight guests, travel is typically in daylight, calm waters, and is performed in a way to offer guests a luxurious, close-to-nature experience with multiple shore excursions each day. The ideal qualities for our Captains include:
· Experience managing a vessel; leading a crew of competent mariners, directing, and coordinating maintenance, and working with the operations team to prepare the vessel for safe and amazing guests experiences.
· Flexible & organized, with proven ability to anticipate the needs of the operation.
· Retain overall responsibility to lead an expedition safely and in accordance with the services scheduled for the guests and applicable Maple Leaf policies.
· Ensure that the ship adheres to all associated Transport Canada regulations and meets the crewing regulation requirements.
· Ensure that the vessel maintains all company standing orders and is sailing under company policy.
· Perform maintenance where needed and to best fit his or her skills as directed by the operations manager.
· Ensure that all systems are in operational order and accompany the vessel as required.
· Maintain and administer a preventative maintenance schedule for the vessel.
· Stand watch duties while on board.
· Assist with guiding, guest services and hosting of clients during ecotourism operation.
· 150-ton Master’s certification or associated (Chief Mate) certification.
· Transport Canada Small Vessel Machinery Operators (SVMO)-Restricted (or SVMO unrestricted)
· Marine Emergency Duties (MED) A2 or higher.
· ROC-MC or GOC.
· Marine/ Wilderness 1st aid certification (CPR)
· Marine/ Wilderness 1st aid certification.
· Relevant work experience on BC coast.
· Degree or post-secondary education in natural/environmental sciences or adventure tourism is an asset. Preferred candidates will bring other guiding/outdoor leadership certifications and relevant experience.
· BC coast navigation experience.
· Experience in tourism or eco-tourism.
Compensation and Benefits:
· Salary compensation commensurate with experience
· Meals, accommodations onboard, transportation to and from the vessel
· Opportunity for career development
· Flexible schedule where the operation can accommodate
· Regular Employees are eligible for health benefits, including a health spending count.
Maple Leaf Adventures:
We are proud to be a leader in regenerative travel and part of British Columbia’s conservation economy. We are the first adventure cruise company (and the first cruise company in the world) to be part of 1% For The Planet.
At Maple Leaf Adventures we have the privilege to visit unique communities and cultures. We are dedicated to creating a team that reflects the spaces in which we live and work. We are committed to fostering a place where all feel included and recognized. Our crew return year after year, as life on board our ships reflects both our shared values and a wide variety of experiences, backgrounds and interests.
Maple Leaf Adventures recognizes the principles of the United Nations Declaration on the Rights of Indigenous Peoples. All throughout the coast our tours travel through traditional lands of Coastal First Nations, which include the W’SANEC, Songhees, Qwuwtsun’, Sto: lo, Squamish, Sne-Nay-Mux, Se’shalt, Qualicum, Comox, Sliammon, Klahoose, Homalco, Kwakwaka’wakw, Nuu-chah-nulth, Oweekeno, Nuxalk, Heiltsuk, Haisla, Tsimshian, Haida, Nisga’a, and Tlingit First Nations.
How to Apply:
· Must be able to legally work in Canada.
· Must be fully vaccinated against COVID-19.
· Due to the high number of applicants, only the top candidates will be contacted.
No phone calls or drop-ins please
Job Type: Fixed term contract
Contract length: 16 days
Salary: $380.00 per day
Expected start date: 2022-08-30