Language Skill Levels (Read/Write/Speak):
Temporary Full Time
We’re not your typical government agency
Canada Mortgage and Housing Corporation (CMHC) exists for a single reason: to make housing affordable for everyone in Canada. We’re mobilizing the expertise and energy of governments, non-profits, lenders, developers, social entrepreneurs and co-ops to create the future of housing. At CMHC, we believe that everyone in Canada should have a place to call home.
Experience a Results-Only Work Environment™ (ROWE™)
At CMHC, we trust you to get the job done. We’ve shifted from managing people to managing work. Each employee is 100% autonomous and 100% accountable. You can choose where you need to be and when you need to be there to meet your objectives. You’re in control of your time and are trusted to make the right decisions.
About the role
We’re constantly evolving to build an inclusive housing system through research, design, innovation and partnerships. As a member of the Legal Services team, you will support in providing legal services and advice to business partners on a broad range of matters in order to contribute to the overall effectiveness of the Corporation. You will establish and maintain positive on-going relationships with business partners and teammates in the provision of legal services under tight deadlines and turnaround times. You will help us make housing affordable for everyone in Canada.
What you will need
- You must be eligible to article in the Province of Quebec or Ontario and have completed a law degree program (J.D., LL.B., LL.L) or a Certificate of Qualification from the National Committee on Accreditation.
- Good academic results in law school.
- Combination of relevant education, work, training, volunteering, or other experiences.
- Demonstrated experience conducting legal research and analysis.
- Demonstrated experience in managing multiple files.
- Strong ability to interpret and communicate effectively complex legal matters, both written and verbal.
- Solid analytical and conceptual skills.
- Strong interpersonal skills including tact and judgement in order to liaise with clients.
- A commitment to demonstrating CMHC values, and a demonstrated ability to work in a team environment.
What you will be doing
- As an articling student, you will gain practical experience in a wide diversity of legal practice areas including mortgage enforcement, commercial contracts, real estate financing, advocacy, privacy, and emerging technology and data governance.
- Students will have the opportunity to rotate through the various CMHC’s practice teams in the Legal Services Division, including:
o Mortgage Loan Insurance and Affordable Housing
o Corporate Advisory
o Real Estate Financing and
o Capital Markets and Securitization.
- Support lawyers in providing legal advice to business partners or other CMHC staff on a wide range of operational and strategic matters, policies and programs.
- Assist lawyers in drafting and advising on agreements and other legal documents and arrangements to support corporate activities and strategic direction.
- Conduct legal research in support of the delivery of legal services.
- Support lawyers in liaising with business lines and management to identify potential legal risks and risk mitigation strategies, and offer proactive advice on possible legal issues.
- Assist with the legal knowledge management process by identifying, analyzing and reporting on material legal developments.
- Support lawyers in instructing and managing outside counsel on matters assigned, including litigation.
Does this sound like an interesting articling experience to you?
Click the “apply now” button and create an account (it should take about 30 seconds). We’re excited to hear from you!
Documents to Submit
- Cover letter (Note: this will be used to assess your communication and writing skills).
- Copy of your most recent official law school transcript
- We have up to three articling positions to fill (English Essential and Bilingual CBC).
** Subject to the volume of applications received, a writing assessment may be used to screen applicants. The pre-screening written assessment will be used to assess a candidate’s ability to analyze a legal issue, assess risk(s), and provide strategical and practical advice to an internal client.
Posting closing date:
Note, the competition may remain active until filled.
Job Requisition ID:
Travel not required
Your application must clearly demonstrate how you meet the requirements.
Selected candidates may be required to do a presentation or assessment as part of the interview. If so, they will be advised in advance.
We sincerely thank all candidates for their interest, however, please note that only those applicants selected for further consideration will be contacted.
If selected for an interview or testing, please advise us if you require an accommodation.
Candidates who do not meet all of the position requirements may be considered in an under-fill capacity, in which case the person will be hired at a lower salary range than is advertised for this position.
All applications submitted to this competition will be kept for a six (6) month period and may be considered for future related vacancies at CMHC.
All regular employees must be in their current role for a minimum of one (1) year prior to applying for a new position, if not, they must receive managerial approval to apply for a new position.
If applying for a temporary assignment, please ensure that your Manager approves your application prior to submission.
In all cases, regular employees must successfully complete the corporate probationary period prior to applying for a new position.
CMHC is an employer that values diversity and encourages the learning and use of both Canada's official languages. CMHC is committed to employment equity and actively encourages application from women, Indigenous people, persons with disabilities and visible minorities