Vancouver - Point Grey Campus
Information Systems & Tech
Info.Sytems&Technlgy, Level C
Faculty of Medicine
$66,787.00 (minimum) - $80,176.00 (midpoint) - $96,212.00 (maximum)
Desired Start Date:
Job End Date:
Possibility of Extension:
Guiding principle: "Midpoint" of the hiring salary range means the individual possesses full job knowledge, qualifications and experience.
This position is expected to be filled by promotion/reassignment and is included here to inform you of its vacancy at the University.
The IT Coordinator is responsible for the management of all imaging and clinical data, MRI and Microscope image processing and analysis, and High Performance Cluster (HPC) servers for clinical research projects from multidisciplinary Departments within UBC, BC Children's Hospital Research Institute and external collaborators. The incumbent consults with multiple principle investigators, users and teams in developing and implementing imaging protocols and analysis, and provides IT expertise to the research groups. This role leads the interview, hiring and training of co-op students on image processing and provide training for researcher staffs.
Reports to Dr. Honer. This position works with considerable latitude in identifying and implementing IT solutions for the research group. Work is reviewed in terms of meeting the position responsibilities, goals, and objectives.
The position works collaboratively with multiple principle investigators, teams of staffs, postdocs and students from diverse backgrounds.
1. Works for multiple principle investigators in BC Children's Hospital Research Institute and external collaborators; work with teams of staffs, postdocs and students from diverse backgrounds; work on several projects from multidisciplinary departments; synthesizes and leverages massive dataset of MRI scans and clinical data to enhance research outcomes.
2. Manages imaging data - oversees MRI scanning protocols; transfers MRI scans remotely from UBC MRI Research Centre and Child & Family Research Imaging Facility to local BCMHARI server; addresses scan quality issues by communicating with MRI technologists and imaging experts.
3. Manages clinical data - designs and develops FileMaker database for clinical data entry and data analysis; manages FileMaker Server for user access and database backup; creates standalone database and exports data to Excel spreadsheet for further analysis.
4. Manages MRI image processing - researches and evaluates current technologies; design, develops and tests optimal processing pipelines; processes scans of structural, DTI, FLAIR etc. various imaging modalities using a broad range of applications like FSL, FreeSurfer, ANTs etc.; edits volumetric and surface-based segmentation; performs DTI fibre tractography; segments white matter lesion by using deep learning network; preforms quality check all stages of image processing; documents processing pipelines and reports results in Excel spreadsheet or other formats.
5. Manges MRI image analysis - consults with users, interprets data, and designs data analysis models either cross-section or longitudinal; analyzes data using statistical techniques. This includes analyzing volumetric or surface-based data by using FreeSurfer, SPSS or other programs, analyzing diffusion tensor measurements by FSL TBSS package, creating structural connectome and doing network analysis.
6. Manages Microscope image Processing - consults with lab users and determine requirements; designs and develops microscope image processing programs like shading correction and neuritic plaques segmentation and classification by machine learning technology; maintains programs developed under ImagJ and Matlab.
7. Provides IT supports - coordinates with IT department of BC Children's Hospital Research Institute to address problems with servers or laboratory hardware and software; recommends hardware and software purchase; makes decision on user access permission.
8. Manages High Performance Cluster (HPC) servers - setup, maintains and troubleshoots 200-core HPC servers; manages user's access; installs and maintains MRI image processing and analysis packages, and machine learning packages.
9. Design, develops and maintain image processing programs by using Unix shell scripts and Matlab; researches, designs, and tests machine learning based solutions on various image processing projects. Stays up-to-date with current and emerging technology and computer trends related to image processing packages including FSL, FreeSurfer, and ImageJ
10. Attends educational workshops; reviews professional publications; benchmarks state-of-the-art technologies; participates in professional societies
11. Interviews and hires co-op students; plan co-op students' projects; supervise and train co-op students working on image processing and analysis projects; evaluates co-op students' progress. Supports training workshops for research staffs.
12. Preforms other related duties and tasks as required
Reports to Dr. Honer.
Supervises, hire and train co-op students working on image processing and analysis projects.
Consequence of Error/Judgement
The IT Coordinator must use sound judgment in managing all research and clinical data. Poor judgment, errors in installation or poor management of technology used for research data collection would have a major adverse effect on research outcomes.
The IT Coordinator is expected to cultivate good relationships with all users and team members and to keep abreast of technologies and computer trends that could impact research and clinical data collection and management. Failure to stay current on technology knowledge could impact research outcomes. Poor communication skills or the lack of diplomacy, foresight or sound judgment could have lasting negative consequences to relationships and co-operative efforts between investigator and team members.
Undergraduate degree in a relevant discipline. Master Preferred in Computer Science or Physics. Minimum of three years experience or the equivalent combination of education and experience. Experience in database design and management, image analysis software and MR technology required. Experience with UNIX interfaces and Apple OS X systems required. Network administration experience including managing access control and networking including HPC servers. Solid experience in a managed research and clinical data in clinical research environment, including use of managed all MRI image and Microscope image processing. Demonstrated ability and comfort with decision making. Ability to manage multiple deliverables that have overlapping completion dates. Ability to deal with a diversity of people and to relay or explain complex issues or deal with difficult situations, in a calm, courteous and effective manner. Ability to problem solve and to think systematically and critically. Effective communication skills. Must be able to impart technical information to audiences with mixed levels of ability. Ability to influence others and move toward a common vision or goal. Ability to develop and deliver effective presentations. Ability to foster relationships and partnerships with internal and external stakeholders. Ability to exercise a high level of diplomacy, tact and discretion when working with information of a confidential and/or sensitive nature. Ability to be thorough, accurate, and have a high level of attention to detail. Ability to effectively recruit, train, supervise, and motivate employees. Ability to work effectively independently minimal direction and in a team environment.
Equity and diversity are essential to academic excellence. An open and diverse community fosters the inclusion of voices that have been underrepresented or discouraged. We encourage applications from members of groups that have been marginalized on any grounds enumerated under the B.C. Human Rights Code, including sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, racialization, disability, political belief, religion, marital or family status, age, and/or status as a First Nation, Metis, Inuit, or Indigenous person.
All qualified candidates are encouraged to apply; however Canadians and permanent residents will be given priority.