Department Manager, Full time
Seasons Wetaskiwin Retirement Community
5430-37A Avenue, Wetaskiwin, AB, T9A 3A8
The Company. Seasons Retirement Communities is a growing senior housing company that believes Happy Team Members = Happy Residents. We want our team members to have work-life balance, feel supported on the job and love what they do. We expect a lot from our team members because we believe our residents deserve the very best. If you are prepared to go above and beyond to make a difference, Seasons is the place for you.
We hire individuals who are enthusiastic about working with seniors. At Seasons, our team members make a difference in our residents' lives through meaningful connections and creating 'Wow Moments' that matter. We support, encourage and celebrate these efforts because they have a positive impact on residents and team members alike. Simply put, it feels great to make a positive difference in the life of a senior.
The Position. We’re looking for a General Manager. The General Manager is responsible for all aspects of the daily operation of the community with primary focus on creating an atmosphere where residents enjoy a lifestyle that exceeds expectations.
Qualifications or Skills Required:
- We offer complete training to right fit candidates.
- We provide health and dental benefits
- Registered Retirement Savings Plan and Employee Share Program
- Investment in leadership and travel experiences
- Group discounts on home and auto insurance
- Has a minimum of two (2) years relevant experience in the seniors housing or hospitality industry
- Experience in progressively responsible roles where he/she has demonstrated ability in leadership, interpersonal skills, marketing, financial planning and effective problem solving skills.
- Current CPR & First Aid Certification
- Class 5 driver’s license with clear driver’s abstract
- Pro Serve Certification
- Graduate of certificate/diploma or degree in nursing, social work, gerontology, hospitality, marketing or business.
Resident and Guest Services
- Ensuring the provision of a safe, secure environment for all residents. He/she will comply with all levels of legislation
- Overseeing all aspects operational programs to ensure that the programs and property consistently meet the Company’s expectations for a successful and profitable Retirement Residence
- Oversees and evaluates the work of all Service Team Leaders in the community
- Providing quality care and services to residents, monitors the quality of care and services and reports, plans, organizes, implements and evaluates remedial action and improvement as necessary
- Ensures that assessments, planning, implementation and evaluation of all activities relating to the care required by residents are being completed by care staff. This includes monitoring and recording pertinent residents care needs and reporting and referring to staff, family and medical practitioners as required
- Coordinating and/or carrying out the nursing actions relating to the prescribed medical orders and ensuring that the resident is involved where appropriate, in decisions concerning his/her care
- Ensuring the provision of meals to all residents utilizing the Dining Service plan provided. The General Manager ensures that all Public Health regulations are maintained in relation to food storage, handling and preparation
- Ensures the planning, implementation and evaluation of a Lifestyle program to meet identified needs of the residents
- Implementation of innovative and creative programs to attract and retain residents
- Applies knowledge of current relevant legislation in meeting professional and managerial responsibilities
- Represents Management at regular council meetings as required, reviews minutes and responds to requests
- Assisting with the preparation of the operating and capital budgets and receives budget approval from corporate office
- Prepares a monthly variance report that is to be submitted with her/his financial paperwork to corporate office for review
- Adheres to the policies and practices for the salary administration for all staff as set out by the budget and reports salary changes to the payroll department as required
- Implements, evaluates and controls payroll information practices for the community to ensure that policies are administered fairly and interpreted correctly by all service team members
- Implementing, controlling and evaluating petty cash funds for the community; keeps records as per the company’s policy and procedure and submits petty cash vouchers monthly to corporate office
- Makes available to corporate office all necessary reports on a timely basis. All reports, letters or dealings with any town officials e.g. Health Inspections, Fire Reports, Building Inspections or any matter as deemed the responsibility of the Parent Company
- Maintenance of facility and equipment; evaluates plans, organizes and controls the repair and replacement needs of the community
- Plans, organizes, evaluates and controls a program for inventory control of supplies and equipment for the home in conjunction with any company-wide programs
- Planning, organizing, controlling and evaluating the use of supplies needed for the efficient and effective operation of the home.
- Is responsible for all maintenance requirements for the home in conjunction with Resident and Guest Services
- All capital purchases must be budgeted for and approved by the Vice President, Resident and Guest Services
- Scheduling, planning, organizing, implementing, controlling and evaluating schedules for the service team members of the community
- Reports the number of paid staff hours, changes and/or problems with scheduling
- Acts as a counselor to staff in the area of performance management and reports any difficulties to Employee Services and Resident and Guest Services
- Plans, organizes and implements performance appraisals for all probationary service team members and assists the service team members with developing skills and setting goals in the area of their own performance and career development
- Is responsible for understanding policies and procedures and legislation relating to disciplinary matters within the community and must be familiar with the terms of any Collective Agreement/Association Agreement
- Works in conjunction with Employee Services and Resident and Guest Services for administration of discipline and reports all incidents that require disciplinary action, including suspension and termination
- Works safely to reduce the risk of injury to self, service team members, guests and residents and is alert to remedies and promptly reports all actual or potentially hazardous situations
- Is aware of employees and supervisor’s responsibilities and follows all health and safety policies and procedures
- Interpreting and implementing current policies (global and community specific)
- Maintains membership in relevant professional organizations
- Actively pursues formal and informal continuing education for both the maintenance and upgrading of professional and managerial confidence
- Understands the lines of authority, flexibility and communications within the Company and uses them effectively to meet responsibilities
- Demonstrates accountability for her/his own actions
- All other duties as assigned
The Location. Seasons Wetaskiwin is located in Wetaskiwin, AB
About Wetaskiwin :
Nestled in one of the oldest cities in Alberta, Seasons Wetaskiwin is a retirement home that is a short drive to Wetaskiwin Hospital and Care Centre, shopping and community amenities. With its warm, welcoming atmosphere, we offer residents a carefree lifestyle and the peace of mind that comes from knowing someone is always available when needed.
Why Should You Apply?
- Competitive wages & benefits packages
- Employee rewards & referral programs
- Growth and advancement opportunities
- Opportunities for on-the-job training
In addition, the successful candidate will be required to promote high quality care while maintaining a safe and healthy environment for residents, resident families, visitors and staff.
Strong interpersonal and conflict resolution skills are essential, as is excellence in achieving continuous quality improvements. Related experience within the seniors housing industry is an asset.
All applicants must be legally entitled to work in Canada. As a condition of employment, a Criminal Record Search which may include a vulnerable sector screen, will be required.
Seasons Retirement Communities (“Seasons“) is an equal opportunity employer and welcomes applications from all interested parties. In accordance with Season’s Accessibility Policy, a request for accommodation will be accepted as part of Season’s hiring process.
We thank all applicants for their interest. However only those selected for further consideration will be contacted.