Manager, Sector Development, Permanent, TRURO
Competition # 23686
The Sector Development and Innovation Division (SDI) serves the Department of Agriculture’s mission to grow Nova Scotia’s economy. We facilitate change within existing and emerging sectors by providing knowledge and insights that can open the door to new prosperity. Through teamwork at every level, we connect people and organizations with the tools, resources and partnerships required to drive new investment and value-added growth.
About Our Opportunity
The Manager of Sector Development works collaboratively with the Manager of Innovation, the Director of Sector Development and a highly skilled group of Business Development Officers located throughout Nova Scotia to:
- Manage the execution of investment and development strategies for high-growth agriculture sectors
- Pursue strategic and sometimes high-risk development opportunities that, if successful, will have significant potential to positively impact economic growth in agriculture
- Operationalize opportunities and strategies articulated through departmental and provincial priorities.
The Manager of Sector Development makes effective recommendations related to sector development that inform program delivery and policy within the Department of Agriculture. The position relies on comprehensive knowledge of the agricultural and agri-food industries, an understanding of sector stakeholder issues and a strategic perspective on desired sector development outcomes.
The Manager builds internal staff capacity with a focus on building the critical capabilities and competencies needed to keep the Section at a leading edge of best practice. Working collaboratively with departmental colleagues, industry players and government agencies, the Manager of Sector Development is responsible for:
- Managing the implementation and delivery of strategic initiatives, pilot projects and complex sector and industry strategies
- Planning, leading and managing a project portfolio that focuses on creating capacity with sectors and agri-businesses to diversify, adopt new innovations, and strive for new market opportunities
You have completed a Post-Secondary Degree in Commerce, Economics, Agriculture or a related discipline and have progressive business development and management experience. Preference will be given to candidates with successive business and economic development experience within the agricultural sector. Your education and professional experience will allow you to:
- Recognize and respond to opportunities that capitalize on the development of new products, services or business models for key sectors and agri-businesses
- Maintain and build upon links with key collaborators and stakeholders that will increase productivity, prosperity and resilience within sectors
- Manage multi-stakeholder projects that are high profile and highly complex in nature and that involve significant levels of investment over a multi-year period
- Developing cross-functional teams that are dynamic and client focused
- Making effective decisions within a framework of legislative mandates, governmental and corporate policies, agendas and government priorities
- Enable sectors within the agri-food industry to acquire and successfully act upon timely, well-researched information concerning market opportunities
- Create strategic alliances and sector development initiatives that are models for new investment in rural regions of Nova Scotia
Leadership competencies required at this level of work are:
Decisiveness, Strategic Orientation, Developing Others, Team Leadership, Self-Awareness and Personal Impact, Effective Interactive Communication, Partnering and Relationship Building, and Intercultural and Diversity Proficiency.
We will assess the above qualifications and competencies using one or more of the following tools: written examination, standardized tests, oral presentations, interview(s), and reference checks.
Access to reliable transportation is required for this position. The position is based in Truro and requires travel to regional offices and locations throughout the province.
$3,051.06 - $3,832.44 Bi-Weekly