A key member of the leadership team, the Shop Supervisor will supervise and co-ordinate the day to day work within the shop and provide assistance to the Operations Team, while ensuring a work quality that is in alignment with overall business goals.
Key duties of the Shop Supervisor’s position is to lead the employees in the department to achieve a safe, productive, profitable division that fortifies and contributes to a positive image for the Company as a whole. Positive customer relations for acquiring work and delivering quality products are key ingredients to the success of the division. Attention to quality control is paramount to the success of this leadership role.
This role involves the direction and care of employees and assets in CLMW’s welding shop located in Labrador City, Newfoundland and Labrador.
PRINCIPLE RESPONSIBILITIES AND TASKS
- Ensure all safety legislation is adhered to and policies and practices are adopted.
- Review existing safety policies and procedures
- Carry out weekly site/shop inspections to ensure policies and procedures are being properly implemented.
- Work with managers and employees to eliminate any conflict between production and safety considerations.
- Complete workplace inspections/workarounds. Keep records of all inspections findings.
- Liaise with officials from the regulatory authorities to ensure the organization is compliant with mandatory regulations.
- Participate in accident investigations and provide recommendations.
- Managing hazardous substances and the disposal of chemicals, e.g. oil, paints etc.
- Conduct and document daily toolbox safety talks,
- Coach employees on proper execution of safety procedures.
- Maintain a high level of housekeeping in workshops and office areas as per LEAN management processes
- Work with employees to educate and enforce all policies and procedures.
- Monitor employee satisfaction and work with the leadership team to ensure CLMW is an employer of choice.
- Ensure employees are provided with and use appropriate training, materials, and equipment to perform assigned duties.
- Visit customer sites and coordinate work as required
- Deal with customer concerns as required.
- Utilize a system of job tracking and supply customers with updates as required.
- Provide timely communications to customers’ requests.
- Provide timely communication internally and externally as required
- Record all business activities on our project management system as required
- Provide timely updated to requests on our project management system to fortify smooth business information updates.
- Review notifications from all communication sources and supply adequate timely responses
- Provide timely communications to other departments and the Quality Manager to fortify smooth business communications and transactions.
- Develop and communicate handover notes and workflow instructions for vacations and leave time.
- Work with management to utilize and ensure work procedures are adhered to
- Provide leadership to employees and ensure that all necessary policies and procedures, documentation and controls are in place and are followed.
- Lead, supervise, motivate and evaluate the performance of employees
- Supervision of the shop according to LEAN business principles by applying 5S strategies.
- Please note, this job description is not designated to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties, or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities may change at any time with or without notice.
- Trade Certification from a related field is considered an asset
- Experience in a similar Supervisory Role/ Leader is considered an asset
- Strong communication skills
- Basic computer skills/Good report writing skills
- Strong planning and organizational skills
- Strong analytical and problem solving skills
- Conflict resolution skills
- Attention to detail is essential
- Must be very conscientious of quality control for finished products
- Must have an excellent team spirit to accomplish final goals and work cooperatively with others
- Must be autonomous and have strong initiative skills
- Must be flexible to work on various products and tasks
- Must be flexible to work overtime on regular basis
- Must be safety oriented
Job Types: Full-time, Permanent
- Supervisory : 3 years (Preferred)