Who We Are
The Canadian Alliance of Student Associations (CASA) is a not-for-profit comprised of 23 student associations and representing the interests of 375,000 students to the federal government of Canada. CASA advocates to make textbooks more affordable, reduce student debt, create valuable work opportunities, provide student mental health supports, support student research, and much more. This is all done with the goal of establishing a post-secondary education system in Canada that is accessible, affordable, innovative and of the highest quality.
Based in downtown Ottawa and reporting to the Executive Director, the Policy and Research Analyst will manage numerous research projects ranging from political issue briefs to comprehensive reports. The position will require regular research and writing for internal and external audiences. The researcher is responsible for gathering and interpreting information relating to post-secondary education in Canada at both the federal and interprovincial level, and the management and drafting of research documents as directed by the CASA membership. The Policy and Research Analyst will also be tasked with assisting CASA’s membership in drafting policy and research papers on a variety of topics in post-secondary education.
Essential Skills and Qualifications
- Strong academic background in public policy, political science, social sciences or a relevant subject
- A degree from a college, university, technical institute, or equivalent combination of education and/or work experience;
- Excellent writing, analytic, and organizational skills;
- Excellent understanding of quantitative and qualitative research methods;
- A keen interest in education related issues;
- An understanding of Canadian federalism and the role of the federal government in post-secondary education;
- Excellent knowledge of Microsoft Excel, Office and PowerPoint;
- Ability to use both Mac OS and Windows;
- Excellent written and oral communication skills;
- Ability to work as a team member and on his/her own initiative when the situation demands;
- Demonstrated initiative and project management skills, time-management skills; ability to work effectively under pressure; proven ability to work in a dynamic team environment;
- Ability and willingness to travel across Canada for conferences, presentations and meetings.
- A strong background or relevant experience in the post-secondary education sector;
- Experience writing policy briefs;
- Past involvement in student government and knowledge of how student governments operate;
- Experience with government or policymakers at the federal or provincial levels;
- Experience using statistical analysis software (example: SPSS);
- Experience using online Content Management Systems (Wordpress and/or Nation Builder);
- Ability to speak/present in French.
- Gathers, reads, analyzes and interprets topical federal and inter-provincial (as well as provincial and international) post-secondary education research, studies, and policy documents.
- Provides research support to members and responds to information requests from other researchers as needed
- Develops, coordinates, and manages CASA research initiatives based upon strategic direction given by the CASA membership through the Executive Director
- Suggests and initiates research projects based on developing issues in post-secondary education.
Position and Policy Papers / Submissions
- Reviews and develops policies and position statements/papers for CASA based upon direction set by the CASA membership through the Executive Director
- Provides information support for presentations, government briefing packages, public relations materials, and other CASA publications
- Provides policy development training to CASA’s membership
- Prepares background documents, briefs, fact sheets, etc. on relevant topical post-secondary education issues for CASA committees as assigned by the Executive Director
- Assists and advises CASA committees as assigned by the Executive Director in research activities and policy development
- Assists with scheduling and organization of committees, and supports committee chairs and secretaries with knowledge of meeting procedures.
- Develops, maintains, and expands CASA’s resource base through a research library/archive of PSE relevant materials
- Supports the maintenance and organization of CASA’s policy position files.
External Meetings, Conferences and Relations
- Liaises with post-secondary education stakeholders, government agencies, CASA members and others in the pursuit of building positive relations, as well as collaborating on research and sharing information on issues in post-secondary education.
- Looks for opportunities to collaborate with external stakeholder organizations and other groups in the post-secondary field.
- Uses contact management database to record and share topics and outcomes of meetings, and track follow-up.
- Assists in the preparation of presentations, government briefings packages, public relations materials, and other CASA publications.
- Participating in conference planning including session design and facilitation.
- In collaboration with Head Office and CASA members, plans, coordinates and implements CASA meeting/conference vision and goals
- Other responsibilities as assigned by the Executive Director.
Interested candidates are asked to submit their resume, cover letter, and short writing sample. All responses will be handled in the strictest confidence; however, only those who have been selected for an interview will be contacted. Interviews will be conducted using Zoom, to respect social distancing.
CASA is committed to employment equity and diversity, and encourages applications from all qualified candidates. This includes women, persons with disabilities, members of visible minorities, Indigenous persons, individuals of diverse gender and sexual orientation, and all groups protected by the Human Rights Code. CASA also offers accommodations throughout the recruitment process, as needed. If you have accommodation needs at any stage of the recruitment process, please inform us as soon as possible.
- Extended health care
- Vision care
- Dental care
- RRSP Match
Application deadline: 2020-05-18
Job Types: Full-time, Contract
Salary: $45,000.00 /year
- Temporarily due to COVID-19