IMAGINE a hospital where everyone is committed to excellence. We did. We are. From boardroom to bedside, we go above and beyond to offer the best and safest patient care. At North York General Hospital (NYGH), we put our patients first in everything we do. We are achieving a new standard of excellence in integrated patient-centered care. and as one of Canada's leading community academic hospitals, we are building on our academic foundation through enhanced education, research and innovation. As part of our dynamic team, you too can stand out and be amazing! At NYGH, our team is making a world of difference. NYGH has recently been ranked the #2 Hospital in Canada by Newsweek.
Safety Specialist, Occupational Health & Safety and Wellness
Your goal in this position is to provide guidance, advice and consultative services to North York General Hospital (NYGH) staff, volunteers, learners and physicians on safety matters and issues; to ensure compliance with all safety legislative and regulatory requirements on a Hospital-wide basis. You will assist with the implementation, training and maintenance of safety programs and will be highly skilled in program development and providing education. You also have the ability to work within a multi-disciplinary team environment or independently and can effectively set priorities, organize and coordinate safety related initiatives. This position supports the Hospital’s academic mandate by advancing care through teaching and learning and/or transforming care through research and innovation. This position contributes to the shared responsibility of ensuring health and safety policies are followed to provide for a healthy environment for staff, physicians, volunteers, learners, patients and families.
On a practical level, you will
- Assist with the development, implementation and maintenance of general and targeted safety training sessions for staff, volunteer and physicians (e.g. WHMIS)
- Provide consultation and proactive recommendations on procedures related to safety matters throughout the Hospital
- Be responsible for ensuring all policies are updated and adhere to current legislation
- Conduct accident and incident investigations and will prepare written documentation, as required
- Accompany the Ministry of Labour representatives on safety audits; ensure follow-up and remedial actions are taken and prepare reports, as required
- Act as a mediator in work refusals (on safety issues) between certified workers and the Ministry of Labour and will liaise with Human Resources, as required
- Perform mask fit testing and will ensure compliance with the Respiratory Protection Program for healthcare workers
- Conduct safety audits within all areas of the Hospital to identify potential health and safety problems and recommend actions of resolution
- Act as a resource for the NYGH’s Joint Health and Safety Committee
- Prepare reports and recommendations for the Joint Health and Safety Committee, managers and senior leadership
- Research and report on issues related to occupational health and safety
- Prepare data and safety reports for management and senior leadership, as required
- Post-secondary degree or diploma in Occupational Health and Safety related studies combined with a minimum of three (3) years’ of health and safety experience required
- Professional Certification/Designation in at least one (1) of the following: Board of Canadian Registered Safety Professional (CRSP); Certified Industrial Hygienist (CIH); or Canadian Registration Board of Occupational Hygienist (CRBOH)
- Masters in Industrial Hygiene or equivalent preferred
- Certification as Canadian Registered Safety Professional, an asset
- Health and Safety Certification, an asset
- Safety audit experience, required
- Experience in providing training, required
- Working knowledge of the relevant legislation (e.g., Occupational Health and Safety Act) & Occupational Hygiene testing
- Unionized hospital experience preferred
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
- Strong commitment to Patient and Family Centered Care
- Experience providing education
Bilingualism in French/English an asset
What We Offer
Working at NYGH means working with a dynamic team of fellow healthcare providers, staff, and volunteers in one of Canada’s leading hospitals. This is a Full Time Regular position 1.0 FTE (75 Hours Bi-Weekly), working 8 hour days in the Occupational Health & Safety and Wellness Department. We offer a highly competitive total compensation package that includes benefits, pension, and vacation. If you were searching for more reasons to consider joining the wonderful team at NYGH, check out some features of our Total Rewards package by visiting nygh.on.ca
How to Apply
Think you're the right person for the job? Here's your first chance to show us why:
Ensure to meet the deadline - only applications received by the closing date will be considered.
We will review all applications and will contact those selected for an interview.
At North York General, we are committed to fostering an inclusive and accessible environment. We are dedicated to building a workforce that reflects the diversity of the community in which we live, including those with disabilities. North York General is committed to providing accommodations in all parts of the hiring process. If you require an accommodation, we will work with you to meet your needs.