This position is responsible for the direction and management of a distribution center (DC) including the overall guidance and direction of key support functions in the areas of Human Resources, Finance, Transportation & Administration, IT,
Maintenance, Quality Assurance, and Loss Prevention and Health & Safety. The objective is to ensure that the stores receive their inventory in excellent condition as needed.
Strives to operate an efficient DC through achievement of budgeted goals and targets. Proactively analyzes and utilizes volume and forecast reports, economic and labour trends and store needs to identify and respond to
volume changes while controlling expenditures. Maximizes current operations by planning for operational changes. Submits recommendations on financial and operational plans.
- Translates key operational performance objectives and communicates them to the functional units within the distribution center. Assists departments in establishing goals and objectives that support the overall strategic business direction and meet operational needs.
- Analyzes and reviews site-specific financial, operational, and administrative reports on a daily, weekly, monthly, and quarterly basis. Provides senior management with information, updates and feedback on issues, opportunities, or changes in policies, procedures, practices, and standards.
- Manages Operations through the creation of operational plans; prioritization, delegation and clear direction to managers and associates.
- Ensures optimal DC conditions through effective good housekeeping and safe working practices.
- Identifies and addresses inventory flow issues and takes appropriate corrective action.
- In conjunction with functional leadership monitors asset protection and safety controls; maintains quality assurance standards; oversees safety and operational reviews while ensuring compliance with all relevant policies and procedures and with established safety, security, sales, financial and record keeping procedures and practices. Anticipates and proactively responds to compliance issues, including shrink control.
- Serves as an ambassador for their DC and acts as a Champion of company-sponsored programs, events, and sustainability efforts to associates whilst also leading Managers and Associates by conducting regular meetings and communicating operational direction and initiatives.
- Drives employee engagement, recognizes and rewards accomplishments and provides opportunities for professional growth. Identifies high-potential associates, providing training and development to increase capability.
- Demonstrates and lives company values by holding Managers and Associates accountable through timely, honest, specific and respectful performance feedback and corrective action. Builds and manages relationships
with supporting functions within National and their counterparts in other Regions.
- Performs workplace inspections to highlight and address safety concerns. This includes walks through the workplace to ensure Associates comply with safe working practices. Hosts Spark Meetings, which includes topics related to Health & Safety. Promotes an open door policy as an open forum for Associates to discuss concerns. Investigates and reports incidents including; accidents, injuries, complaints, near misses, misconduct, infractions, and other violations of company policies and procedures. Decides upon the appropriate action to be taken in order to correct substandard acts or conditions. Follows up to ensure the action was completed and effective.
- In conjunction with other function (Maintenance, Loss Prevention, HR) oversees and manages process flow changes, reconfiguration of DC layout, implementation of new automation and technology and other changes.
Canada Walmart Division
Minimum of 6 years’ experience in a management role leading a large team within a warehousing, supply chain or logistics environment. Start-Up experience desirable.
- Strong overview of all supply chain management areas with a deep appreciation and understanding of warehousing.
- Warehousing Grocery experience in both a Cold Chain and an automated conveyor environment preferable.
- Strong understanding and demonstrated application of process improvement principles such as Six Sigma, TQM, Lean or other continuous improvement methodologies to identify and reduce/eliminate waste in all areas of the supply chain.
- Proven problem solving and decision making skills including trouble shooting, data management including research, interpretation and analysis. Ability to practice goal-directed thinking / action in situations for which no routine solutions exist.
- Completion of post-secondary education in Business Management, Operations Management, or Inventory Control.
- Advanced level of experience in warehousing logistics, operations and support services or quality assurance.
- Issue management skills including problem solving and trouble-shooting; information gathering including research, interpretation and analysis (i.e. client and system requirements, description of problems, etc.); and conflict management.
- Project management skills including needs analysis, information gathering, research, analysis, and reporting skills; preparing and maintaining detailed project plans.
- Managerial skills including selection, coaching and counseling Associates, evaluating performance, team building, and administration and operational planning including budgeting and resource allocation.
- Responsible for leading a high-performing team. Results-driven leader who can mentor and help grow direct reports is necessary.
- A strong proponent and behavior-modeler of Active Leadership. Is approachable and visible in the warehouse daily and works in collaborative partnership with Operations Management at the site and other sites, National
as well as develops good working relationships with Support departments and Associates.
- Communication skills (verbal, written, facilitation) including an ability to interact with all levels of the organization
- Time management skills including an ability to work in a fast-paced environment, multi-task, manage multiple projects, and meet deadlines under pressure.
Licensing & Other Qualifications
Almost continuously sitting in the same location or standing/ walking. Frequent requirement to lift/handle material or equipment of moderate weight.
- Occasional exposure to factors such as temperature extremes, moving machinery, noise, and fumes, which cause noticeable discomfort.
- Frequent need to give concentrated attention, with one or two senses at a time, where stimuli are changing.
- There is continuous pressure from deadlines, production requirements, accuracy or similar demands. Unpleasant contacts and/or concern about unpleasant situations are frequent. Moderate disruption of family/social life.