RESEARCH INSTITUTE OF THE MUHC
The Research Institute of the McGill University Health Centre (RI-MUHC) is a world-renowned biomedical and hospital research centre. Located in Montreal, Quebec, the Institute is the research arm of the McGill University Health Centre (MUHC) affiliated with the Faculty of Medicine at McGill University. The RI-MUHC is supported in part by the Fonds de recherche du Québec - Santé (FRQS).
Radiotherapy is one of the most widely and effective cancer treatments, but unfortunately it can also cause normal tissue damage. Dr Ybarra is looking for a highly motivated, resourceful, trustworthy and detail-oriented junior assistant to work on testing different strategies to improve the cancer killing effects of radiotherapy, without increasing or even reducing the radiation-induced damage to the normal tissues.
The successful candidate will be exposed to a variety or research techniques including cell culture or primary and cancer cell lines, gene and protein expression analyses, microscopy, flow cytometry and animal models.
- Conduct experiments and generate research results,
- Help in general laboratory organization,
- Perform independent research projects from experimental design, data generation and analysis, troubleshooting,
- Take care of receiving and stocking lab supplies, keeping inventory and records of reagents and consumables, and let know her/his supervisor of the needs of the lab in terms of ordering consumables,
- Ensure proper maintenance and training for users of laboratory equipment,
- Supervise and provide training in basic techniques and lab safety for new laboratory members,
- Attend lab meetings and weekly one on one meetings with her/his supervisor.
Website of the organization
Education / Experience
- Bachelor’s degree in a relevant field of the study or CEGEP diploma with relevant lab experience,
- At least one year of hands on experience working in a research laboratory, with special emphasis in the lab techniques mentioned above,
- Other qualifying skills and abilities,
- Ideal candidates will have prior experience in mammalian cell culture, microscopy, and molecular biology techniques,
- Exceptional organization skills and attention to detail,
- Good written and oral communication skills (English and French),
- Good interpersonal skills, trustworthy and an effective team player with the willingness to supervise/mentor students.
Pay Scale :
$27,920.97 - $32,874.27 /annum (25-hour workweek)
Work Shift :
11 a.m. to 4 p.m., Mondays to Fridays (Work shift could be flexible)
Work Site :
Research Institute McGill University Health Centre, Glen site
To learn more about our benefits, please visit https://rimuhc.ca/reasons-to-work-at-the-ri-muhc
THIS IS NOT A HOSPITAL POSITION.
The masculine gender has been used for brevity and includes the feminine gender.
Equal Opportunity Employment Program
Le CUSM applique un programme d’accès à l’égalité en emploi et invite les femmes, les Autochtones, les minorités visibles, les minorités ethniques et les personnes handicapées à présenter leur candidature. Des mesures d’adaptation peuvent être offertes aux personnes handicapées qui en font la demande en fonction de leurs besoins.