HB Studios is Atlantic Canada’s largest and most successful independent video game developer. We have an opportunity for a Senior Game Designer to join our team of developers, creators and fans, who are passionate about the art and process involved in video game development. As a Senior Game Designer, you will be responsible for all aspects of game design; from concept – through production to release, all while ensuring the quality of the game and its gameplay are of the highest standards.
Main Duties and Responsibilities:
- Work and communicate directly with all members of the game team on a regular basis to develop the game and its design throughout production, while remaining in-line with required timelines
- Write and maintain living design documents for use by design, production, development, and QA staff.
- Hands-on work during production including play-testing, tuning, data-entry, content creation, and some scripting.
- Ensure all delivered versions of assigned games are thoroughly play-tested with a design-critical approach and report all issues and required changes.
- Identify and help to prioritize any issues in assigned games in conjunction with production and other team leads.
- Identify and report any aspects of the assigned game, its design, or its development process, which may compromise its final quality or overall success.
- Develop—or contribute to—new concepts and game pitches for the studio as required.
- Play—and contribute feedback for—all games currently in development or prototyping.
- Contribute to the studio’s growing philosophy of game design, and how we make games.
- Creative Director
- Producer / Associate Producer of assigned game
- QA Team Leader of assigned game
- Other Designers
Skills and Experience
- 4+ years’ experience in the games industry
- Basic scripting experience (C#, XML / JSON, VBA)
- Fluency with Microsoft Excel
- Experience with the Unity game engine
- Degree (any subject)—or alternatively—games industry experience
- Technical knowledge of the videogame development process
- An avid player of both PC and console games
- Deep interest and knowledge in one or more mainstream sports.
The ideal candidate is a creative individual with a passion for game design and willingness to research and learn about assigned games – especially sports. A proven ability to breakdown game issues, mechanics or concepts into lay terms and argue and negotiate their case on game-specific issues in a constructive manner. A detail-oriented person who works well with others and considers all forms of feedback. If this sounds like you, we encourage you to apply today.
Job Types: Full-time, Permanent
- games industry: 4 years (Required)