$49.23 - $61.54 per hour
35 per week
University Health Network (UHN) is looking for an experienced professional to fill the key role of Architect I in the Pugh Labs.
Transforming lives and communities through excellence in care, discovery and learning.
The University Health Network, where “above all else the needs of patients come first”, encompasses Toronto Rehabilitation Institute, Toronto General Hospital, Toronto Western Hospital, Princess Margaret Cancer Centre and the Michener Institute of Education at UHN. The breadth of research, the complexity of the cases treated, and the magnitude of its educational enterprise has made UHN a national and international resource for patient care, research and education. With a long tradition of groundbreaking firsts and a purpose of “Transforming lives and communities through excellence in care, discovery and learning”, the University Health Network (UHN), Canada’s largest research teaching hospital, brings together over 16,000 employees, more than 1,200 physicians, 8,000+ students, and many volunteers. UHN is a caring, creative place where amazing people are amazing the world.
University Health Network (UHN) is a research hospital affiliated with the University of Toronto and a member of the Toronto Academic Health Science Network. The scope of research and complexity of cases at UHN have made it a national and international source for discovery, education and patient care. Research across UHN's five research institutes spans the full spectrum of diseases and disciplines, including cancer, cardiovascular sciences, transplantation, neural and sensory sciences, musculoskeletal health, rehabilitation sciences, and community and population health. Find out about our purpose, values and principles here.
The laboratory of Dr. Trevor Pugh, PhD, FACMG is looking for a cloud-focused, senior software developer to help lead a team charged with continuing development and interconnection of scientific software, including cBioPortal and the CanceR Single Cell Expression Toolkit (CReSCENT), a cancer single cell expression portal and distributed database to aggregate and store single-cell genomics. This will include deployed on institutional and commercial cloud platforms including HPC4Health (hpc4health.ca) and Microsoft Azure. All of our work is open source (github.com/pughlab), and we collaborate widely with researchers across Canada and the US (e.g. marathonofhopecancercentres.ca, aacr.org/genie, and cbioportal.org). Our group brings together experts from a variety of disciplines including medicine, genomics, immunology, high performance computing, machine learning, and pathology. We are an active part of the Princess Margaret Cancer Genomics and Tumour Immunotherapy programs (cancergenomicsprogram.ca and pm-tumorimmunotherapyprogram.ca). In this role, we are developing a range of web applications that support clinicians and researchers across the Princess Margaret Cancer Centre, enabling them to share and transform data for clinical and research use. We also work closely with the OICR Genomics program (genomics.oicr.on.ca) to support data sharing across numerous precision medicine projects. This is an exceptional opportunity to have broad impact across the spectrum of cancer research projects.
- Undergraduate Degree in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, Bioinformatics, or a similar discipline.
- More than 8 years of related experience, preferred
- 5+ years professional experience writing Java and/or Python code.
- Proficiency in Java and web technologies, including type script, ES5/6, Babel Transpiler.
- Demonstrated knowledge in cloud-computing, e.g. interacting with or developing in Kubernetes or Azure solutions/systems.
- Experience in delegation and project leadership
- Software development experience in a team environment, including understanding of modern development lifecycles.
- Experience with analysis and algorithm development on complex NGS datasets.
- Practical experience with version control tools (e.g. git) and agile approaches to development
- Strong collaboration skills to work with internal team members and external collaborators.
- Experience working with scientists in product development or research setting desirable.
- Knowledge, background, or experience in molecular biology would be a significant asset.
- Lead the development team and ensure timely delivery of work
- Mentor junior team members
- Extend or implement web solutions for analyzing and virtualizing next generation sequencing and other genomic data.
- Maintain and document current code base and exiting web services
- Develop robust pipelines for standardized of single-cell genomics data
- Design architecture to efficiently handle high dimensional and complex datasets
- Experience working with open-source software
If you are driven to become a skilled developer of world-leading research and information analytics tools, this is a great opportunity for you. Applicants should have a demonstrated track record in software development and in their application must provide examples of past accomplishments such as working software/webapps or open-source repositories.
If you are interested in making your contribution at UHN, please apply on-line. You will be asked to copy and paste as well as attach your resume and covering letter. You will also be required to complete some initial screening questions.