Our Calgary, AB location is currently looking for an experienced Horizontal Directional Driller with an outstanding track record to join our team. The successful candidate will be responsible for setting up and operating a variety of directional drilling equipment to install underground telecommunications Conduits for mainlines and pathways. Applicants must be punctual, safety conscious with a positive attitude and have a strong work ethic. Provided with at least 25-30 hours of work per week.
Primary Job Responsibilities but are not limited to:
- Assist the driller with horizontal directional drill according to drill plans
- Load and unload directional bore equipment in a manner that is secure and damage free
- Complete drivers’ logbook and daily vehicle inspection (pre-trip, en-route, post-trip) maintenance and repair reports, accident or incident reports.
- Ensuring that Health and Safety is the number one priority by complying with all safe work practices, policies, and processes and acting in a safe manner at all times;
- Operating Ditch Witch or Vermeer directional drills;
- Operating picker trucks and water trucks;
- Maintaining and adjusts machinery in order to ensure proper performance;
- Maintaining a proper mix of mud and run mud systems, as well as performing basket changes;
- Maintaining driver logs and completing all other paperwork.
- Knowledge in locating systems
- Proven mechanical ability;
- Safety tickets preferred (In-house training will be provided).
- Read and interpret project plans, diagrams and Locates
- Performs work including box locating, installation of conduits for various cables
- Coaches and mentors new employees
- Work under customers’ standards related to horizontal directional drilling; adhering to site-specific rules and regulations
- Maintains and records accurate daily drilling activities
- Will perform all other duties as required by supervisor/manager
- Troubleshoot any equipment issues and relay to service for assistance or resolution
- Willingness to work overtime, weekends or on emergency calls as required
- Fuel and Grease Directional Drill to maintain safe and optimal operation
- General Labour duties and other activities at the construction site as required
- Prepare and coordinate safety toolbox talks and complete pre-job hazard assessments
- Operate equipment in residential areas
- Out of town travel will occasionally be required
Job Qualifications/ Education:
- Minimum 3 years Telecommunication Directional Locating experience
- Valid Class 5 drivers license preference will be given Class 1 drivers
- Safety Tickets (H2S, Ground Disturbance, and First Aid)
- Experience in heavy machinery operation
- Relevant telecom experience or construction experience
- Knowledge of fibre and conduit Installation is an asset
- Must be able to lift to 23 Kg (50 lbs.)
- Ability to think and react to changing conditions quickly
- Travel as required
- High School diploma or post secondary education.
- Ability to work in varied outdoor weather conditions
- Must be in good physical condition (Heavy Lifting required +50lbs)
- Must be able to work safely, both independently and also as part of a team
- Must adhere to all company-specific policies and regulations
- Must adhere to Health & Safety requirements and including Book 7 standards for traffic conditions
We thank all applicants, however, only short-listed candidates will be contacted for interviews.
Part-time hours: 25-30 per week
Job Type: Part-time
Salary: $30.00 /hour
- Horizontal Directional Drill Locating: 3 years (Preferred)