Make a difference in a growing, innovative mental health organization and centre of excellence in people-centered care. Work with supportive colleagues who are passionate about improving lives and champions for quality and continuous learning.
As a Registered Practical Nurse, you will be an integral part of a collaborative, inter-disciplinary team focused on delivering seamless services and programs to our clients and customers. If you are looking for a company that is constantly moving forward in pursuit of successful outcomes, get ready to love it here!
The Residence is a premier and highly specialized facility focused on delivering world-class, medically-based treatment for mental health, addiction and concurrent conditions in a private, highly personalized and luxurious residential setting. It is staffed by a dedicated team of nationally recognized medical and clinical experts including psychiatrists, physicians, and psychologists with access to national experts in various mental health and addiction specialties at the Homewood Health Centre. All activities are focused on helping clients build the skills they need to achieve and sustain recovery.
Internal applications for positions within a bargaining unit must be received within 7 days of this position being posted to have seniority considered.
This is a contract opportunity until August 2021.
What you'll be doing
- Provide nursing care as required
- Contribute to fluctuating patient care needs according to CNO standards, RNAO Best Practice Guidelines, specific program philosophy and diversified patient populations
- Receive patient assignments and follow care plans accordingly
- Administer psychiatric and non-psychiatric medications and treatments
- Ensure necessary clinical assessments are initiated following admission and at various other times, eg. Mental Status Exam and Columbia Suicide Scale
- Engage with interdisciplinary teams and individual team members as appropriate
- Act as a preceptor, mentor, coach, or resource nurse as appropriate
- Participate in clinical discussions, team meetings, and patient/family conferences
- Accept changing work assignments as required and directed by supervisor and/or delegate
What we're looking for
- Current registration as an RPN with the College of Nurses of Ontario, in good standing
- 6 months of nursing practice is required
- CPR/Basic rescuer
- Venipuncture skills are required
- Knowledge of the Mental Health Act (MHA), and community mental health resources is required
- Knowledge of documentation standards (CNO), and privacy legislation (PHIPPA)
- Knowledge of CBT/DBT is required
- Experience assisting in program development is an asset
- Experience with group facilitation is required
- Ability to effectively manage crisis situations and deal with acutely ill patients
- Current knowledge and experience of assessment and treatment of psychiatric disorders, including suicide prevention and management of personality disorders
- Previous training in boundaries, suicide awareness, and medication administration is required
- Ability to work independently and within a multi-disciplinary team
- Proficient computer skills, and experience working with a number of systems and software applications, eg. BDM and Caseworks
- Exceptional customer service
Why work with us
Homewood Health is Canada’s largest and leading service provider for medically focused, evidence-based treatment of mental health and addiction disorders. Our organizational culture values service excellence, integrity, collaboration and innovation. Our people make a difference!
We offer a competitive salary, an excellent benefits package, professional development opportunities and promote a psychologically healthy workplace.
Employment Equity & Closing Statement
In accordance with the various provincial legislations that we operate under, Homewood Health is committed to working in collaboration with any team member who may require workplace accommodation in order to successfully perform any or all aspects of their role.
Join us at Homewood Health™ and be part of a diverse team helping Canadians live healthier, more productive and fulfilling lives.