WJS Canada offers support and advice to families, supporters and partner agencies to help challenged individuals develop socially acceptable behaviours and make connections within their communities. These services are based on empowering individuals to develop to their maximum potential in the least disruptive manner possible. For individuals within WJS services, we tailor behavioural support plans to meet their emotional, behavioral and mental health needs.
As a Casual Disability Support Worker in this 24 hour program, you will provide one on one support for a 23yr old female diagnosed with FASD, Psychosis NOS, Substance Use Disorder, ADHD, who also has past history of instability, emotional trauma, high risk behaviors and substance use.
Behaviors of concern:
depression, low frustration tolerance, anger, impulsivity, lack of focus, history of cutting, substance abuse (meth/pot), mental health aggravated by substance abuse, domestic violence, shoplifting, verbal/physical aggression
In Your Role You Will
- Instruct, guide and support the client with life skills, behaviour management and community inclusion in a helpful and supportive manner
- Support individuals with their personal life planning and goal setting and achievement.
- Assist individuals to develop personal home living skills.
- Maximize participation/inclusion at home and in the community.
- Model socially appropriate behaviours (for the individual and the community).
- Work with minimal supervision
- Solve problems, resolve conflicts and make decisions as a team.
- Administer medical administration or first aid, according to prescribed procedures.
- Collect information; prepare maintain, edit, and organize correspondence, Individual service plans, and progress reports; maintain files according to agency, ministry and accreditation standards.
- Participate in shift exchanges, staff communication and communication of issues or concerns.
- Maintain required documentation.
*** Prior to confirmation of employment all applicants must provide a current (dated within 6 months of hiring date) Criminal Record Check and Ministry Check. These checks can take up to 6 weeks to obtain, please ensure you prepare accordingly.
As An Ideal Candidate You Possess
Preference will be given to mature, physically fit and highly skilled applicants with significant experience in Disability Services & challenging behaviours.
- Only those applicants with a minimum 2+ years experience working with persons with aggressive behaviours & significant mental health concerns will be considered for this challenging position
- Prefer a Certificate, Diploma or Degree – Disability Service Worker, Special Education or related field; Grade 12 Diploma minimum requirement;
- Personal care/hygiene experience.
- Valid class 5 driver license (not GDL – no restrictions) with clear driving abstract and reliable vehicle
- Clear criminal record check & social services involvement check (UPLOAD COPY IF AVAILABLE)
- Current First Aid/CPR and Non-Violent Crisis Intervention certification (NVCI or CPI)
- Work well in an environment with potential for aggression/violence; physical intervention skills an asset
- Training in Abuse Protocol, Medication Administration, Proactive Procedures & Behavioural Strategies, Crisis Prevention Intervention
- Confident & able to function in a crisis
What WJS Canada does
WJS Canada's mission is 'Strengthening people and communities with innovative, individualized services'. The support we provide for families, emphasizes building relationships to enhance the family's strengths and achieve goals that address their needs for support in areas of struggle. Services are individualized and based on the family's belief that their own internal resources can be strengthened and that other helpful skills can be developed. For more information on WJS, services and career opportunities, visit www.wjscanada.com
Our Employees Enjoy
At WJS Canada, trust, strong connections, innovation and results are the pillars of our mandate. We manage by developing our core strength: our people. We give employees the tools to do the job, developing their competence and their confidence, by conducting training programs to ensure professional development and build skills, employee morale, employee safety, health, loyalty and satisfaction. Developing people includes respecting employees work-life balance through flexible hours, locations and duties. We support our staff with assistance and benefit packages, innovative wellness programs and compassion for the life challenges they face.
For more information on WJS Canada visit our website:
No telephone calls please. Only those candidates selected for an interview will be notified.