At Bardel, our greatest asset is our people. We are looking for a Surfacing/LookDev Artist. The Surfacing/Look Development Artist works with the Surfacing Lead to define the appearance for CG assets for a particular project. They should be able to use a variety of methods and renderers to satisfy a production's creative needs
What will you be doing:
- Work with the Leads to create final looks, textures, templates and material networks for CG characters and environments to be used in production.
- Create detailed textures based on concept designs provided by the art team.
- Create templates and live groups in Katana to pass to other artist and optimize the workflow
- Define shader requirements, Create shader networks in Katana, modify shader parameters, apply texture maps and integrate solution into the pipeline to achieve a predefined look
- Participate as a team member in determining various design and technical solutions
- Work closely with grooming artists to create fur, hair, or cloth shaders and look
- Modify attributes on custom OSL shaders and define standard passes for an asset
- Ensure that all assets work in the studio pipeline for lighting & color pipeline requirements.
What you bring with you:
- Minimum 4 years production experience in the animation, film and or game industry
- Experience in creating stylized as well as photo-real shaders
- Experience in painting stylized and photoreal textures in Mari and Photoshop
- Experience with fur and hair shading
- Superior eye for light, shade, color, and detail in creating shaders and textures.
- Able to create textures from reference and clean UV layouts
- Be willing to share knowledge and experience with others
- Must have experience with Katana, Maya, Arnold, Adobe Photoshop, Mari, Substance Designer and a variety of rendering technologies.
- Must have experience modifying shading networks and defining templates for other artists.
- Familiarity with Zbrush or other normal/displacement map generation
- Experience with shader programming in OSL, creating Katana macros or supertools and working with Nuke and render passes is a plus
Why work at Bardel?
We've got great people, and for good reasons! Bardel offers work on exciting high-profile projects, a generous compensation/benefits package, and a fantastic company culture fueled by career development and artistic skill enhancement. Every day you will collaborate with other influential, career-minded, creative professionals from around the world.
How to apply:
Please apply below in this form or visit our Job Portal to apply.
We thank all applicants who express an interest in being part of the Bardel team. Unfortunately, due to the high volume of submissions received, we will only be in touch with those that are a compelling match for one of our current openings.
Candidates applying from outside of British Columbia must be willing and able to relocate to British Columbia, Canada (either working in-studio or remote in BC). Bardel's talent mobility program offers support to candidates in obtaining proper work authorization and residency. Note, employment prior to relocation begins as independent contracts.