We are currently seeking a Fraud Investigator to join our team.
The Fraud Investigator strives for internal service excellence through the development and implementation of procedures and hands on analysis to mitigate fraud security-related risk exposure at the corporate level. This role conducts external investigations relating to criminal and fraudulent activities, provides support and advice to staff in the application and administration of safety and security processes, and contributes to enhance, improve, and sustain the department’s role within the organization. Note: This role is required to assume shared and frequent on-call responsibilities (24/7).
Here’s what would be included as a part of your typical day
- Investigation: Conducts external investigations relating to criminal and fraudulent activities such as fraud, theft, robbery, extortion, and bomb threats using various investigative tools, technology, and strategies to mitigate risk. Complies with judicial requests including production order/search warrants. Actively pursues opportunities for recovery, restitution and/or arrest ensuring all investigations are conducted in accordance with professional standard. Completes investigative fieldwork; interviewing witnesses and suspects, maintaining evidence, and preparing written case reports in a timely manner. Ensure MasterBond insurance process is followed when applicable. Share on-call responsibilities outside of business hours 24/7.
- Risk and Compliance: Monitors and ensures compliance with existing legislation, and provides consultation, technical advice and support in the development and implementation of effective and proactive fraud risk management and security programs. Provides consultation as it relates to security, safety, and fraud risks. Complies with regulatory reporting requirements.
- Representation: Represents the Credit Union in criminal and/or civil proceedings as required to testify on the Credit Union’s behalf. Assists the activities of the Emergency Response Team in the event of a branch or regional office intrusions and ensures stabilization of the location following criminal events. Acts as a liaison with law enforcement, justice system agencies, regulatory bodies, internal and external auditors. Remains active in investigative community and relevant associations to maintain and build strong working relationships in the industry. Represents the Credit Union as a professional subject matter expert. Based on shared on-call duties (24/7), attends, investigates, and reports on fraud and security related issue.
- Proactive Measures: Remain current on industry trends, education, products/technology and relevant laws. Identifies and analyzes financial crime trends and gaps in controls, escalates risk, and makes appropriate recommendations to the Manager to mitigate financial exposure. Supports data analytics solutions to mitigate identified risks and brings forward innovative ideas to enhance fraud detection programs, create efficiencies and for process improvement. Identifies learning needs for staff in the application of fraud risk, prevention/detection, security, and safety processes/procedures. Assists in the development and conducts internal and external training sessions on financial crime prevention.
Required Skills, Experience & Qualifications
- Post Secondary Diploma in Business, Finance, Criminology or equivalent required; Bachelor’s Degree and CFE and/or CFCI preferred
- 3 years in the financial industry with security and audit responsibilities or a combination of education and experience required; demonstrated experience in conducting investigations and financial industry operational knowledge preferred
- Demonstrated written and verbal communication skills, with the ability to interact effectively and build long-term relationships with a wide variety of stakeholders, such as regulatory bodies, auditors, industry peers and law enforcement agencies
- Demonstrate strong judgement skills and the ability to perform detailed work under time constraints and/or pressure while maintaining a high degree of accuracy
- Ability to maintain strict confidentiality
- Take responsibility for self-development and continuous learning
- Knowledge of banking programs and systems
- Demonstrated investigative/research skills, problem-solving, decision-making, interviewing and report writing skills
- Working knowledge of the criminal justice system, criminal law and rules of evidence
- Proficient with computer software applications including MS Office and fraud/case management systems with the ability to learn, adapt to and effectively use new or enhanced programs
- Displays an understanding of risk and risk ownership by being able to demonstrate adherence to policies and procedures.
Why work for us?
We offer a total rewards package that recognizes the meaningful work you do to support our members and our communities, which includes:
- A competitive base salary plus performance-based incentive compensation
- Annual merit pay increases
- Flexible benefits as well as support for retirement benefits
- Vacation time, a flexible “Day4U” and the option to purchase up to five additional vacation days
- Other financial perks such as our Employee Banking Advantages which includes waived or reduced financial service fees, reduced rates on personal loans, mortgages and no-interest loans on lifestyle-related items that promote health, wellness, learning and business aptitude
In addition, you can enjoy socially conscious perks, like three paid days off every year, to volunteer for causes you care about.
What’s your place in the First West story? Apply now and let’s find out together!
First West regrets that only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.
Diversity & Inclusion:
First West Credit Union is committed to diversity and inclusion. Our goal is to create an inclusive, accessible environment for our candidates and employees that reflects the communities in which operate. If you require an accommodation for the recruitment or interview process (including alternate formats of materials, accessible meeting rooms or other types of accommodation), please let us know and we will work with you to meet your needs.