Make a difference in a growing, innovative mental health organization and centre of excellence in people-centered care. Work with supportive colleagues who are passionate about improving lives and champions for quality and continuous learning.
With over 130 years of experience, Homewood Health Centre is one of Canada's largest and leading facilities for medically focused, physician-led treatment of mental health and addiction disorders.
We are hiring a permanent part-time Registered Nurse for the Homewood Health Centre and are looking for you.
This is an ONA position and is governed by the Collective Agreement between ONA and Homewood Health Centre.
Internal applications for positions within a bargaining unit must be received within 7 days of this position being posted to have seniority considered as a factor in selection.
What you'll be doing
- Provide nursing care in the Treatment and Recovery Room for patients receiving medical intervention of Electroconvulsive Therapy (ECT)
- Prepare patient for treatment
- Provide post-anesthesia care which includes assessment, monitoring, and documentation as per PACU Policies & Procedures
- Responsible for set up and maintenance of the ECT and PACU suites
- Contribute to fluctuating patient care needs according to CNO standards, RNAO Best Practice Guidelines, specific program philosophy and diversified patient populations
- Assume Charge Nurse responsibilities as assigned, and direct the work of others
- Receive patient assignments and follow care plans accordingly
- Administer psychiatric and non-psychiatric medications and treatments
- Ensure necessary clinical assessments are initiated following admission and at various other times, eg. Mental Status Exam
- Engage with interdisciplinary teams and individual team members as appropriate
- Act as a preceptor, mentor, coach, or resource nurse as appropriate
- Participate in clinical discussions, team meetings, and patient/family conferences
- Accept changing work assignments across Elective Psychiatry Services as required and directed by supervisor and/or delegate
What we're looking for
- Licensed as an RN with the College of Nurses of Ontario, in good standing
- BScN and CPMHN(C) preferred
- 2 + years recent experience working with mood and anxiety patients is preferred
- Training and experience in recovery room techniques required
- Experience with post-anesthesia care required
- Knowledge of ECT as a Therapeutic Intervention
- Mental Health Nursing certificate preferred
- 1 year in Charge Nurse role preferred
- CPR/Basic rescuer
- Strong assessment and documentation skills
- Skilled in the treatment of psychiatric disorders, including PTSD, suicide prevention, and the management of aggressive behaviour
- Working knowledge of Mental Health Act, and community mental health resources
- Knowledge of documentation standards (CNO), and privacy legislation (PHIPPA)
- Knowledge of CBT/DBT is an asset
- Experience with group facilitation is an asset
- Current knowledge and experience specific to emergency mental health and crisis intervention
- Proven excellence in communication, problem solving, conflict resolution and organizational skills
- Proven ability and skill in working independently and as a part of an innovative interdisciplinary team
- Ability to prioritize and function effectively in a demanding and challenging environment
- Proven ability to assume leadership
Why work with us
Homewood Health is Canada’s largest and leading service provider for medically focused, evidence-based treatment of mental health and addiction disorders. Our organizational culture values service excellence, integrity, collaboration and innovation. Our people make a difference!We offer a competitive salary, an excellent benefits package, professional development opportunities and promote a psychologically healthy workplace.
Employment Equity & Closing Statement
In accordance with the various provincial legislations that we operate under, Homewood Health is committed to working in collaboration with any team member who may require workplace accommodation in order to successfully perform any or all aspects of their role.Join us at Homewood Health™ and be part of a diverse team helping Canadians live healthier, more productive and fulfilling lives.