Peace Hills Insurance is a growing Canadian insurance company specializing in property and casualty insurance. We have over 200 employees with branch offices in Edmonton, Calgary and Vancouver. We are dedicated to providing the best customer service available. Peace Hills Insurance prides itself on being a flexible, positive and rewarding place to work.
Company culture is what sets aside Peace Hills Insurance from our competitors. Our personality is reflected in our mission statement, corporate values and business ethics and is further exercised through the architecture of our office. Visit www.peacehillsinsurance.com.
We currently have an opening for a Director of Pricing, based out of our Edmonton office (it may be possible for this role to be done from a different location). Reporting to the Vice President, Underwriting and Marketing, the incumbent leads the pricing of our products and analysis of strategic initiatives through the use of predictive analytics tools and comparative research of market prices and trends.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Perform actuarial analysis of insurance rates, rating procedures and rating plans for personal and commercial business lines (property, auto and casualty)
- Develop effective rating systems
- Provide actuarial support for required rate filings
- Liaise with Information Technology department on development and maintenance of our underwriting system as it relates to pricing and reinsurance
- Prepare insurance forecasting models
- Provide advice to enterprise risk manager
- Drive the compilation and analysis of data required for reinsurance program
- Identify profitable markets and design appropriate products in conjunction with the Corporate Underwriting team
- Provide recommendations to the Executive Management team regarding pricing and products
- Keep management informed of relevant industry developments
- Oversee the results and monitor the work of the Actuarial Analyst and Assistant Actuary
- Mentor and provide professional and technical guidance to the actuarial team
- Provide support for and serve on special committees as initiated by the company
- Communicate and explain pricing and product changes in a clear and effective manner
- Participate in strategic planning with Executive and senior management
- Develop and maintain effective relationships with internal partners as well as external partners such as government officials and representatives, vendors and consultants
- Serve on industry committees and volunteer for actuarial profession
- Various other duties as they relate to product pricing or loss analysis
Prior experience and qualifications include:
- Bachelor of Commerce or Science Degree.
- FCIA strongly preferred. ACIA will be considered.
- Minimum 15 years of property and casualty rating experience, knowledge of rate capping procedures is required, and commercial property knowledge is preferred.
- Mentorship or supervisory experience
- Experience in Reinsurance
- Understanding of the industry and area of service; commercial property knowledge preferred
- Knowledge of underwriting and risk management
Skills & Abilities / Competencies
- Problem solving using quantitative and analytical skills to make data-driven decisions
- Able to manage competing/conflicting priorities while completing assignments successfully
- Analytical and research skills
- Excellent organizational, planning and implementation skills
- Excellent writing and verbal communication skills, with the ability to present to non-technical audiences
- Communicate impacts of changes to branches in a way that they are able to respond effectively
- Sound analytical thinking, planning, prioritization, and execution skills
- High level of critical and logical thinking, analysis, and/or reasoning to identify underlying principles, reasons, or facts
- Familiar with predictive modeling and data manipulation tools such as R, SQL
- Confident with decision making in regards to determining project guidelines, purpose, following through and completion
- Ability to respond appropriately in pressure situations with a calm and steady demeanor
Working at Peace Hills
Peace Hills understands that by reducing work-life struggles, individuals can enjoy a healthier lifestyle while improving productivity at work. A collegial work environment and an excellent work life balance are just two of the ways we do this.
We thank all applicants for their interest, however only those candidates shortlisted will be contacted
Job Types: Full-time, Permanent