This regular full-time position is available effective July 2, 2020. Regular hours of work are 9:00 am – 5:00 pm, Monday to Friday.
What Douglas Offers
DO what you love. Be good at it. That’s how Douglas College defines a great career. It’s a philosophy that resonates through our classrooms, our offices and our boardrooms. It inspires our students and drives us to make Douglas College one of BC’s Top Employers. We love what we do. And we’re looking for passionate, motivated people to join us in making one of Canada’s best colleges even better.
Reporting to the Vice President International Education & Strategic Partnerships, this position provides confidential administrative support to the Vice President and the International Division. The work often involves sensitive and/or highly confidential issues. This position is challenged to screen and identify matters which require the Vice President’s attention and to bring these forward in a timely manner. During the absence of the Vice President, this position is accountable for prioritizing and re-directing issues to an appropriate source.
Decisions impact the efficient administrative management of the Vice President’s office and Douglas College International. Douglas College International has approximately 2000 full-time students from over 80 countries. The position communicates with senior officials of other educational institutions, government agencies, college faculty and staff, private organizations and industry, including representatives of international partners and agencies.
Performs all confidential administrative support functions pertaining to the efficient and effective operation of the Vice President’s office. This position constitutes the formal channel through which sensitive, emergent, and confidential matters reach the Vice President.
Confidential Executive Support
- Acts as the first point of contact to the Vice President for individuals within the college, as well as students and representatives of outside organizations such as government agencies, other education organizations, service providers, etc.; exercises judgment in determining the information to be provided and/or refers to the appropriate individual as required.
- Serves as a liaison with internal and external contacts, including Management, Faculty and Staff, in the resolution of day-to-day administrative and operational problems relating to divisional matters; provides information including interpretation of established College policies, procedures, and regulations.
- Coordinates, prioritizes, and manages the Vice President’s calendar; independently troubleshoots if meeting conflicts occur and/or urgent matters arise that need immediate attention; ensures the Vice President has necessary materials in preparation for the meeting.
- Receives all correspondence and determines appropriate course of action, including composing responses on routine issues, obtaining information pertaining to a request, or referring to appropriate individual as required; follows up as necessary.
- Develops and maintains secure record systems for documents and files of a confidential or sensitive nature; e.g. budget submissions, performance evaluations, potential program or personnel changes, personnel records, strategic goals and objectives.
- At the request of the Vice President, prepares draft correspondence, presentations, agreements, reports and position papers, many of a highly confidential nature.
- Organizes and coordinates meetings, interviews, events, and activities for the Vice President and divisional staff as required, including venue, travel and logistics, itinerary, event registration; prepares supporting documentation as required.
- Coordinates and may attend various international education events, conferences, and activities involving international partners, both at Douglas College and at partner organizations overseas; includes making local and international travel and logistics arrangements for the Vice President, Senior Management, and conference delegates as required, communication with delegates, recording of meeting/event minutes.
- Coordinates special projects as assigned by the Vice President; undertakes data collection/research, analysis, and summary reporting on items as requested.
- Assists with the development of administrative procedures and recommends improvements as appropriate.
- Coordinates the preparation of the operational budget, capital budget, and capital requests for the office of the Vice President; may liaise with facilities and purchasing to obtain quotations for budget items for submission and consideration.
- Monitors the budget accounts and expenditures for the office of the Vice President; identifies discrepancies and takes necessary action to have them corrected.
- Reviews, verifies and reconciles expense claim reports, invoices, and cheque requisitions and submits for processing.
- Reviews, reconciles, and submits for processing travel expense claims and invoices related to agency commissions and joint program tuition payments.
- Prepares agreements for contractors; tracks invoices and payments against budget.
- Coordinates and attends College and divisional meetings for which the Vice President is chair or management resource.
- Prepares meeting agendas and prepares and/or assembles supporting documentation; coordinates calendar invites and room booking arrangements; records minutes at meetings the Vice President is required to chair; prepares and distributes minutes in a timely manner.
- Prepares lists of action items and follows up as necessary.
- Identifies agenda submission deadlines and ensures pertinent items are placed on meeting agendas.
- Participates on College project teams and committees related to administrative processes and procedures.
Human Resource Support
- Coordinates employee performance evaluations for divisional excluded employees as required, including maintaining schedule/calendar for evaluations, initiating review process, receiving completed evaluation documentation, and preparing evaluation summaries.
- Assembles vacation entitlement and carry-over information for excluded employees of the division; prepares quarterly and annual summary reports for Finance.
- Coordinates, assigns, and reviews the work of one administrative support staff; trains, coaches and evaluates staff; participates in recruitment, selection, discipline.
- Coordinates vacation and other leave schedules for staff.
- Liaises with international partners to organize various international events, ranging from international conferences to overseas graduation and agreement signing ceremonies.
- Organizes and coordinates international travel for Senior Management Team and Board members attending international events.
- Conducts tasks assigned as required.
To Be Successful in this Role You Will Need
1. Completion of a four-year bachelor degree program in a relevant discipline related to business administration or international education, or an equivalent combination of training and experience.
2. Progressively responsible office administrative experience with at least five years’ experience in a senior administrative support position.
3. Knowledge and experience of international education; ability to speak a second language an asset.
4. Excellent organizational, presentation, written and oral communications skills; demonstrated expert level proficiency in using computer software packages for word processing, spreadsheets, databases, and presentation.
5. Experience taking and transcribing meeting minutes in a senior administrative environment.
6. Demonstrated ability to work independently and meet deadlines.
7. Demonstrated ability to work positively and professionally with the public, government departments and college employees at all levels.
8. Ability to exercise good judgment in recognizing scope of authority and protecting confidential and sensitive information.
9. Ability to perform administrative duties with deliberate speed and accuracy without immediate and constant supervision.
- Communications Skills – Possesses strong communication skills, both verbal, and written and expresses thoughts in an organized, concise manner. Actively listens to the issues of others in a manner that elicits cooperation and support. Demonstrates an effective and adaptive skill in communicating with students/individuals under stress. Develops and delivers effective presentations. Has the ability to present information and ideas to diverse groups.
- Market Knowledge – Continuously seeks to stay current and be at the leading edge in his/her field and is committed to continuous learning; one that is self‐motivated and self‐directed, being able to work independently with sense of urgency to task completion.
- Innovative & Entrepreneurial Approach – Seeks out possibilities, develops new ideas, and effectively moves them forward. Is creative, innovative and takes advantage of opportunities, while recognizing the necessity of working with limited resources and in alignment with the strategic directions of the College.
- Employee Centric– Anticipates, responds, and attends to the needs of employees and other internal and external customers of the department and organization.
- Effective Working Relationships – Treats staff, colleagues, and students with respect; resolves conflicts respectfully and in a timely way, negotiates effectively, and provides effective feedback to colleagues / direct reports.
- Administrative Skills – Provides leadership and ensures accountability for achievement of results; very focused; strong organizational skills; simplifies often complex and lengthy matters; effective time management skills; ability to separate important issues and identify priorities.
- Organizationally Astute – Is diplomatic and tactful; non-confrontational; recognizes internal and external sensitivities; has an intuitive ability to read the political implications of recommendations and actions; uses sound judgment.
- Energetic and Adaptable – Is prepared to take on longer-term initiatives and does so with enthusiasm; has the ability to adapt to new and changing situations; able to alter course/direction when necessary; enjoys and embraces new challenges. Flexible; able to deal with stress effectively.