Royal Botanical Gardens is the largest botanical garden in Canada and one of the largest in the world. With over 2,700 acres of cultivated gardens and nature preserves it is also one of the biggest urban nature sanctuaries and marshland restoration sites in North America. With its extraordinary land holdings, breathtaking landscapes, biodiversity, collections, facilities, educational and conservation programs, RBG is a top-rated regional tourist attraction and a global leader in its sector. Special events are an important focus for Royal Botanical Gardens. The Events Assistant will report to and work directly with the Events Manager. The assistant will assist with promoting, coordinating, planning, facilitating, implementing and evaluating our events and festivals.
We are seeking an energetic, well organized individual who is passionate about event planning and execution. This is a contract position through to December 31, 2020 with the possibility for extension.
Key Responsibilities include:
- Assist with coordinating, planning, implementing, and promoting special events
- Coordinate volunteers for events
- Develop ideas for new events and evaluate their potential
- Prepare site plans for events
- Liaise and consult with inside staff, as well as outside community groups, agencies, municipalities and businesses
- Communicate event plans to operational staff
- Promote upcoming festivals and events to visitors
- Set and maintain timelines and schedules for events
- Track event spending and stay within budget guidelines provided by Events Manager
- Assist with creating post event analysis reports
- Maintain an environment, which actively supports customer service, innovation and quality
- Ensure all safety, security, communications and first aid measures are addressed and adhered to for participant and public safety with regards to events
- Direct and assist the coordination of the set up and tear down of events that will include both evening and weekend work
- Source and purchase supplies for events
- RBG has committed to becoming a fully sustainable and ecologically restorative organization. This is an integral part of our culture and we require all our employees to assist us with this goal by committing to make the best ecological decisions possible in the execution of their responsibilities, keeping in mind the possible effects these decisions may have on both the human and natural environments both now, and into the future.
- Other duties as required
- This position requires working a minimum 35-hour work week; however, flexibility is required as some events are scheduled after hours and on weekends.
- Ability to work in a fast-paced, challenging environment
- Post-secondary degree/diploma in business, event marketing, tourism, or a related field
- Minimum 3-5 years previous experience planning, coordinating and executing festivals and events
- Previous experience in office administration and logistics planning of special events
- Excellent public relations, communication and writing skills both orally and in written form are required.
- Must be comfortable public speaking.
- Exercise good judgment and demonstrate leadership abilities.
- Ability to work independently and part of a team and effectively manage time and resources.
- Previous experience working with volunteers is an asset.
- Ability to multi-task and prioritize.
- Attention to detail.
- Be hard-working and dedicated to achieving success.
- Strong problem-solving abilities.
- Working knowledge of MS Office (Word, Excel, Outlook, PowerPoint) is required.
- Previous experience using SharePoint is preferred.
- Standard First Aid and/or CPR certification preferred.
- Must possess a valid Class G driver’s license with a clear record.
- The successful candidate will be required to complete a Police Records Check.
Please submit applications to www.rbg.ca/careers by J
Opens in New Window
anuary 31, 2020. Submit cover letter and resume as a single file saved as your last name and position title.
RBG is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to fair and accessible employment practices. Upon request, suitable accommodations are available under the Accessibility for Ontarians Act. We thank all applicants however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.